Last Updated on
- 2 cups Spring Mix Lettuce
- 2 cups Romaine Lettuce
- 2 lbs Boneless, skinless Chicken Breast
- 1 tablespoon Coconut Oil
- 1/4 cup Wheatberries cooked (see instructions in notes)
- 1/4 cup Quinoa cooked
- 1/4 cup Edamame shelled
- 2 teaspoons Sesame Oil
- 1 teaspoon Soy Sauce
- 2 teaspoons Rice Vinegar
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 ℉. In a large bowl toss the spring mix and romaine lettuce together to combine and divide between 2 salad bowls.
- Drizzle the chicken breasts with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes, depending on the thickness of the chicken. Remove and let sit for 5 minutes before checking with a thermometer to ensure the internal temp is 165 ℉. Slice and set aside.
- Prepare the quinoa and wheatberries according to package directions.
- In a large bowl combine the wheatberries, quinoa, and edamame and layer on top of the lettuce. Place the cooked chicken on top.
- In a small bowl whisk the sesame oil, soy sauce, rice vinegar, olive oil, and salt together and drizzle over the salad.
There are many little details I miss about being a New Yorker, but quick and healthy lunches on the go are one of the greatest drawbacks to not living in the city.
I’m a girl who loves her salads and my local salad shop (yes, those are thing in NYC) was a place I frequented weekly. Since our move to Charleston I have fallen in love with many new salads, after all there’s more than one type of salad love, but I haven’t quite replaced (and may never) my very first salad loves. I am aware of the salad shop located here, but I’m not ready to start finding new flavors just yet…
All dramatics aside though, I have taken it upon myself to recreate some of my favorite city salads with the Asian Sesame Grain Salad being one of my first attempts. The convenience of quickly strolling a few blocks to pick up my order isn’t there or, gasp, having it delivered, but making the recipe at home is more cost conscience and just a tiny bit more healthy.