Always simple, these Baked Chicken Drumsticks are marinated in a lemon, garlic, olive oil dressing and seasoned with herbs de Provence, then baked to a crispy finish.
Baked Chicken Drumsticks
Some of the best meals begin with a simple recipe. Baking chicken is one of the easiest options for preparing crispy on the outside, tender on the inside, chicken. Conversely, it is also one of the simplest recipes to use in planning a meal.
The basics of baking chicken are easy to learn and one of those recipes I prefer to keep stored in my memory. From there I can build on the basics to create a more complex meal.
How to Prepare Baked Chicken
Intensifying the flavor of the chicken comes from marinating. Then let it cook slightly slow in the oven. Make sure to use high-quality olive oil and fresh-squeezed juice. Check on the drumsticks with about 15 minutes left in the cooking process to ensure the skin and herbs are not burning.
- First, create the chicken marinade and pour over the chicken, tossing to coat. Cover and marinate for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- Bake, on a rimmed baking sheet, in the oven set to 400 degrees for 40 minutes. Remove the chicken from the oven when it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
Use a digital meat thermometer to check the temperature of your chicken. If the drumsticks begin to brown too quickly, reduce the oven temperature by 25 degrees.
Other Spice Blends to Try
- Chinese 5 Spice + Orange Juice + Soy Sauce, remove lemon juice and Herbs de Provance
- Lime Juice + Chili Powder + Cumin, remove lemon juice and Herbs de Provance
- Garam Masala + Red Curry Paste + Curry Powder + Paprika, remove Herbs de Provance
What to Serve with Chicken
- 3 lbs Chicken Drumsticks
- 1/3 cup Olive Oil
- 3 tablespoons Lemon Juice freshly squeezed
- 4 Garlic Cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons Herbs de Provence
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Freshly Cracked Pepper
- In a small bowl whisk the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, and 1 tablespoon of the Herbs de Provence together. Place the chicken drumsticks in a large bowl and pour the oil mixture on top, tossing the drumsticks to coat. Store in the fridge for 30 minutes, up to 2 hours, to marinate.
- Preheat the oven to 400 ℉ and lightly coat a rimmed baking sheet with oil. Arrange the drumsticks in a single layer on the pan, sprinkle with the remaining tablespoon of Herbs de Provance, salt, and pepper. Bake for 40 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees.