Chai Spice + Chocolate Chips + Oatmeal Cookie = Amazingness!
I know, I know, I KNOW! It’s January 18th so how, HOW, could I possibly be temping you this early into the New Year with something as delicious and sweet (and amazing) as these cookies? Well, it’s because I technically only ate one of them due to bringing them as a hostess gift where I happily (and begrudgingly) left the entire plate.
Now, if you’re currently as weak as I am when it comes to your sweet tooth then I will happily divert your attention to these healthy Cocoa Coconut Energy Balls, however do please circle back to the cookies here in like a month or so, okay…
Just the other day a mom-friend of mine invited me and the kids over for lunch, which I always like to use as an opportunity to make something new to bring. Now, I don’t condone this behavior because it has the potential to go horribly wrong, but I do live within a 2 mile radius of a grocery store, chocolate shop, and cupcake bakery should things ever go array.
Fortunately this recipe for oatmeal cookies went very well and I have some Chai Spice leftover to get super creative with (Healthy Chai Spice Waffles, hmmm?? Stay tuned for those!)…
Really, I just wanted to make some Chai Spice to have on hand, which is how I initially came up with the idea for these cookies. That and I needed something to bring to the lunch play-date so chai spice meet oatmeal cookie and here we are…
Winter time just screams “spice” and while I’ve packed away my Pumpkin Spice and Gingerbread (or rather just scooted them a little to the back of my spice rack) I’m still craving something similar. Therefore, I’m going to now label January to be Month o’ Chai!
And since it’s now the Month o’ Chai it’s highly recommended you make a batch of these cookies. Come on, join the fun! Just eat one and give the rest a way. In the meantime I’ll figure out some healthy ways to use the chai spice mix, promise.
- 1½ cups Oats
- 1/2 cup Flour
- 1/2 cup Chocolate Chips
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoons Cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon Ground Cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Cloves
- 6 tablespoons Unsalted Butter room temperature
- 1/2 cup Dark Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk together Oats, Flour, Chocolate Chips, Baking Soda, Salt, and spices. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the Butter, Brown Sugar, and Cane Sugar until light and fluffy, scraping down the bowl after using a rubber spatula. Add Egg and Vanilla; beat until just combined. Gradually add the oat mixture and continue to mix until combined.
- Form 1 tablespoon-sized balls of the dough (or use a cookie scoop) and drop onto a cookie sheet. Bake until cookies are golden brown, about 12 to 16 minutes. Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes and then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.