Seasoned ground beef mixed together with yellow rice and black beans, smothered in Mexican cheese and queso fresco, all in one pot. This Cheesy Mexican Skillet needs little prep and it cooked in 30 minutes, making it a classic weeknight meal.
Cheesy Mexican Skillet
Perfectly seasoned ground beef mixed with yellow rice and black beans smothered in melty cheesy goodness is the ingredients that will make this dinner a major win with whomever you share it.
Lately, I’ve been thinking about gathering together in terms of breaking bread together with friends and family or rather sharing a meal together. Our modern culture refers to this as entertaining but true hospitality is more than whipping up an exclusive meal. Sharing a meal, one that is intentional can be the gift of food, the gift of togetherness, the gift of presence. Entertaining doesn’t need to mean also complex or extravagant.
Food, so lovingly prepared and shared around a common table has the magical ability to not only bring people together but allow relationships to form and bonds to be strengthened. It opens the possibility of trust among one another and allowing vulnerable areas of our lives to show. Opportunities for healing to begin or continue and a true sense of the word “home” all exist around the simple act of breaking bread together.
In the midst of our harried lives, I invite you to think of the meals you prepare as opportunities to form such bonds whether you’re a seasoned chef of a mom of three little ones just trying to get dinner completed. A table and some food are all that is required for creating such magical opportunities.
Best Cheesy Mexican Rice
This recipe calls for yellow rice, which can be found, often in a bright yellow package, with all the other rice versions at the grocery store. Each package contains seasonings that make this one-pot meal so flavorful.
How to Make this Cheesy Mexican Skillet
If you’re craving those moments to gather but also live in the reality of a harried life and you’re wondering what you could possibly toss together that wouldn’t send your family running from the table then this Cheesy Mexican Skillet is for you. Part dip, part dinner… Is there any dish more magical?
However, you decided to enjoy this one pot, or skillet, the meal you won’t have to worry about how you’ll fit it into your schedule. This is a recipe, requiring on one pot or skillet that builds on itself:
- Brown and season the beef. Easy enough!
- Add in your rice and water, season some more, cover and let chill for a bit.
- Stir in the beans and chilies and remove from heat. Seriously, almost done here.
- Lastly, top with cheese, maybe toss is under the broiler and garnish.
If you’d like to add a little extra flavor to this dish add some of the toppings below.
- Sour Cream
- Diced Tomatoes
- Chopped Cilantro
More Delicious Skillet Recipes
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- 1 Lb Ground Beef
- 2 tablespoons Garlic Powder
- 2 tablespoons Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 package Yellow Rice
- 2½ cups Water
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 15 ounces Black Beans rinsed and drained
- 4 ounces Green Chilies
- 2 cups Mexican Cheese
- 5 ounces Queso Fresco Cheese crumbled
- Set the oven to BROIL.
- Heat Oil In a large skillet (that has a lid) over medium-high heat and add the Ground Beef, breaking it apart into small pieces as it browns. Add the Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Salt, and Paprika, stirring to combine. Continue cooking until meat is cooked through, about 5 more minutes.
- Add the Yellow or Spanish Rice along with its seasonings and water. Bring to a boil and set to simmer, cover with a lid for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the rice is fully cooked and the water dissolved. Stir in the Black Beans and Green Chilies. Remove skillet from heat.
- Sprinkle the Mexican Cheese and Queso Fresco on top of the skillet and place in the prepared oven for about 3 minutes, or until the cheese melts and begins to brown. Garnish with Cilantro and Pickled Jalapenos.