This Chicken Quinoa Meatloaf is an Italian spin on an American classic creating tender juicy slices of zucchini and sun-dried tomato packed meatloaf. Seasoned with standard flavors of oregano and garlic, this recipe can easily become a new classic.
Chicken Quinoa Meatloaf
Chicken Quinoa Meatloaf is an Italian spin on an American classic with bold flavors of oregano, fresh crushed garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, and zucchini. This meatloaf is a healthy version of a traditional dinner classic.
Classic meatloaf has always been a favorite dish of mine and served with the best mashed potatoes recipe I can’t think of anything more comforting for dinner. Perhaps creating a new spin on an old classic is the only way to heighten the deliciousness.
Most meatloaf recipes are traditionally made using ground beef. While the yesteryears beef version of meatloaf packs a simple ingredient lineup and maintains strong flavor the ground chicken is just as tasty and tender.
How to Prepare Meatloaf
- First, prepare the quinoa according to package directions and let cool.
- Next, saute the sun-dried tomatoes and zucchini and then garlic in oil and let cool.
- Prepare a large rimmed baking sheet by covering it will foil.
- In a large bowl combine the all the remaining ingredients except the ones for the glaze and then form into a loaf on the prepared baking sheet.
- Whisk the glaze ingredients together and pour over the meatloaf. Cook for 50 minutes until the meatloaf is no longer pink in the center.
Tips for Preparing Meatloaf
- Place the meat on top of a foil or parchment-covered rimmed baking sheet during the cooking process. Often if you use a loaf pan the meat will pull away from the sides as it cooks and just doesn’t look as pretty.
- Make some extra sauce to drizzle on top after you’ve plated the slice of meatloaf for a flavor upgrade.
- Garnish with fresh herbs such as chopped parsley.
The overall prep of this Chicken Quinoa Meatloaf is extremely simple. While it takes about an hour to cook it makes plenty for leftovers so you can look forward to lunch the next day.
Other Comfort Foods to Try
- 1/3 cup Quinoa rinsed
- 2/3 cup Chicken Broth
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 medium Zucchini cut into matchsticks
- 4 ounces Julienned Sun-Dried Tomatoes not packed in oil
- 4 Garlic Cloves minced
- 2 lbs Ground Chicken
- 2 tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 Eggs beaten
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- 2 tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Tomato Paste
- Preheat the oven to 350 ℉.
- Bring the Quinoa and Broth to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low, simmer until the quinoa is tender, and the water has been absorbed about 20 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Heat the Olive Oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the zucchini and Sun-Dried Tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute; remove from heat to cool.
- Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or foil. In a large bowl, combine the Ground Chicken, cooked Quinoa, zucchini mixture, 2 tablespoons Tomato Paste, spices, Worcestershire Sauce, and beaten Eggs. Season with the desired amount of Salt and Pepper. The mixture will be very mushy and not firm but shape into a loaf on the prepared baking sheet.
- Whisk the glaze ingredients together and brush or pour evenly on top of the meatloaf. Bake in the oven for 50 minutes or until the meat is no longer pink in the center. To check doneness use an instant-read thermometer placed in the center. The temperature should read 160℉.