This Chocolate Zucchini Bread is a slightly sweet, muffin-like bread with a chocolate espresso flavor. Pair a slice of the dense bread with your morning coffee for a treat.
Try this olive oil chocolate chip zucchini bread next.
Chocolate Zucchini Bread
When I initially prepared this bread it was in an effort to rid my kitchen of ingredients before leaving town. At the time I also craved a healthier version of an old family classic, zucchini bread. Trading the vegetable oil for high-quality olive oil as well as coating the baking pan in coconut oil instead of shorting was a start. Changing white flour to white whole wheat was a small swap, but choosing to use almond flavoring instead of vanilla brought on a delicious toasted taste. These changes turned into a slightly sweet, fluffy yet dense bread.
How to Make Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 350℉ and grease a 9-inch loaf pan.
- Mix Dry Ingredients: Whisk the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, and espresso powder until combined.
- Mix Wet Ingredients: Beat the sugar, olive oil, and eggs together until smooth. Add in the almond extract.
- Fold: Gently fold in the zucchini. Pour half of the dry mixture into the wet and fold until just combined and repeat with the remaining dry mixture.
- Bake: Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and sprinkle top with chocolate chips. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool: Let the bread cool for 10 minutes before removing from the pan.
Bread Topping Ideas
Each time I prepare this bread I like to change the recipe slightly and one way I do this is by changing the toppings. Below are some of my favorite combinations.
- Pecan Halves + Cinnamon + Coconut Flakes
- Chocolate Chips
- Oats Toasted with Honey
Commonly Asked Questions:
Can I use something other than espresso powder?
Yes. You can change the espresso powder for actual espresso, brewed coffee, or even almond or vanilla extract.
Can you freeze this bread?
Yes. To freeze this bread cook it fully and let cool completely. Wrap in plastic wrap tightly and then foil before placing it in the freezer.
How to Know the Bread is Done Cooking
Ovens often vary depending on how old or new it is as well as by type and brand. The best method of checking quick bread recipes for doneness is to stick a toothpick directly into the center of the quick bread. If the toothpick comes out clean (a few dry crumbs are okay) then the bread is done cooking. If there is still batter on the toothpick add 10 minutes to the cooking time and check again.
The best time to check the recipe is with 5 minutes left in the baking process. Then if the bread is not finished cooking add 10 minutes so you would be left with 15 minutes to cook.
Can this Recipe be Made into Muffins?
Yes. To make this chocolate zucchini bread into a muffin line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper muffin liners. Make the recipe and then divide the batter between the cups. Cook for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Try these Other Quick Bread Recipes:
- 3 cups Flour
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 3/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Espresso Powder
- 1½ cups Sugar
- 1 cup Olive Oil
- 2 large Eggs
- 2 teaspoons Almond Extract
- 3½ cups Zucchini peeled and chopped finely
- 1/2 cup Chocolate Chips
- Preheat the oven to 350℉ and grease a loaf pan with butter, shortening, or oil (I usually use coconut oil).
- In a medium-sized bowl whisk the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, and espresso powder together until combined.
- In a large bowl beat the sugar, olive oil, and eggs together until smooth. Stir in the almond extract and then gently fold in the zucchini.
- Pour half of the dry ingredients into the wet mixture and continue to gently fold in until just combined. Repeat with the remaining dry mixture.
- Place the batter into the prepared loaf pan and sprinkle with chocolate chips (or desired toppings) and bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Place the loaf pan on a baking rack for 10 minutes before removing from the pan.