There’s just something about this Crockpot Beef & Vegetables Over Cauliflower Mash that seems like it should come from childhood. Now, as far as I remember there wasn’t a cauliflower movement when I was young but I’m thinking it has to do with the peas and Carrots combo. Aside from this would-be memory, there are two major pluses to this dish: it’s really healthy (Whole 30, Paleo, Low-Carb) and it’s easy, hello Crockpot.
So, I’ll just end the post there…
Which would totally work if I wasn’t this chatty person who likes to hear herself talk ????
See, I made this dish last week for dinner and I also made it while my husband, Jonathan was traveling for work, which was intentional. He’s not a big fan of onions or peas so, two main ingredients, in this meal, which got me thinking as I’m now once again looking at those pics, how could I change it up?
Just recently I was reading this post from a new food blogger friend Debs from Salted Mint, whom you should absolutely check out cause she’s a professionally trained chef, and in this midst of writing her post she came up with an entirely new recipe. I had to laugh because I so do that and often!
My goal with this post is to do the exact same, only I’m eliciting your help! Why? Well, because this is an uber easy meal and I want to make it on the reg and no only when Hubs is out of town (Debs, feel free to chime in ????).
My first thought is to change the cauliflower to mashed Sweet Potatoes and then switch out the Carrots, Peas, and Onions, but with what?
Another key factor is I want it to still be pretty. I love how the colors of this dish pop! SO now you have your challenge… What vegetables would you replace the peas, carrots, and onions with?
Leave me a comment below to let me know and I’ll pick some of my favorites, we rather the Husband’s favorite, to make and post.
- 1½ lbs Beef Chuck Roast cut into 2-inch sized cubes
- 3 Carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 Onion peeled and diced
- 2 cups Beef Broth
- 2 tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 1/4 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 2 tablespoons Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper
- 4 cups Cauliflower
- 1/4 cup Milk
- 2 cups Frozen Peas
- Combine the Beef, Carrots, Onion, Tomato Paste, Flour, Spices, Salt, and Pepper in your crockpot. Cover and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours, or on high for 4 to 5 hours.
- Just before you’re ready to turn your crockpot off add in the peas and stir. Cook for an additional 3 to 5 minutes.
- With about 30 minutes left in the cooking process begin to prepare the Cauliflower Mash. Chop up the cauliflower into small chunks, removing the green stems at the bottom.
- Place in a large pot and cover with water. Bring the water to a boil and look cook for about 20 minutes or until the cauliflower has softened.
- Using a slotted spoon scoop out the cauliflower and place it into a blender. Pour the milk into the blender and blend until smooth. Season with additional Salt and Pepper.
- Place the Cauliflower Mash in the bottom of your serving bowl and spoon the Beef mixture on top.