Potato Soup is so comfy and creamy and practically gives you a hug (too far?) as you devour it on cold nights or at your desk in a cold office, and that is exactly why we’re here today. After what I did last week (to be described below) I needed a warm comfort food hug.
As a food blogger, you have many flops and flat-out disaster as far as recipes go. If I’m being completely honest I had them well before becoming a food blogger so it was to be expected these epic frustrations would hang around long after I thought I was an experienced-ish type cook (maybe).
There comes a time though when you have a recipe that really takes the cake (or dinner where I’m concerned) and poisoning yourself is probably at the height of that list.
Yes, friends, that’s exactly what I did last week. I poisoned myself! I undercooked my dinner. Such a rookie move that will likely haunt me for life. Needless to say, I have now begun eating again albeit dining on a still very bland type diet and certainly no meat.
There will definitely be a future warning post on the undesirable outcomes of undercooking your food when I can bring myself to actually think about the offending meat again, however, for now, we will stick to those unoffensive type ingredients such as potatoes.
One of the worst things about poisoning myself, aside from the whole being sick thing, is that I practically lost a week of my life. I lost a week and I was doing so good at being ahead! Alas, such is life.
Now here it is the week before Thanksgiving and holiday baking and travels and schedules that are completely bonkers and once again I want/need easy food. So I thought:
Soup is easy.
Soup is comforting.
Soup makes people happy.
I need soup!
And so soup happened in our house this week. I couldn’t decide between loaded baked potatoes or soup so I decided not to decide and just combine the two. Everybody wins! This Easy Creamy Potato soup is as advertised. It takes very little effort to prepare, it’s beyond creamy, and it has bits of potato all mixed in. No false advertising here.
Now, this is certainly not a nouveau recipe as it’s a fairly popular type of soup, but sometimes even the simplest of dishes can get complicated and this one is anything but. Personally, I like to spice it up a bit with some chili powder and jalapenos, but you do you and you top this soup however you’d like because bacon and cheddar cheese are just a few of the endless possibilities.
Easy Creamy Potato Soup
- 5 slices Bacon cooked and diced
- 5 tablespoons Butter
- 1/4 cup Flour
- 3½ cups Whole Milk
- 1 cup Vegetable Broth
- 3 Russet Potatoes peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 Green Onions chopped, green parts only
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon Chili Powder
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the bacon. Cook until brown and crispy. Remove from heat and transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate. Crumble once cooled and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large stockpot over medium heat and whisk in the flour. Let the flour brown slightly, about 1 minute before slowly whisking in the milk. Continue to cook until the mixture thickens, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the broth, potatoes, and green onions. Season with salt, pepper, and chili powder.
- Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to a simmer until potatoes are soft; about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cheese and sour cream.
- Garnish with green onions, bacon, and more shredded cheese.