It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas here, in my kitchen, in my stuffed closet that’s supposedly hiding gifts, and on my dinner table, which is why this Vegetable Lo Mein is making an appearance.
See I’ve been planning my Christmas dinner menu, which obviously got me to thinking about Christmas Day, and then I thought about The Christmas Story movie on repeat, which then (do you see where I’m going with this now?) got me thinking about Chinese take-out.
If you’ve seen the movie, which how could you not cause it’s literally on repeat for 24 hours on Christmas Day, then you know the scene where the family is forced to dine out on Christmas Eve due to a very burnt turkey. The only open restaurant is a Chinese take-out type venue. In my opinion, that’s kind of a score…
In an attempt to avoid such scenarios in my own home I’m putting easy no-fuss and little mess recipes on repeat. Vegetable Lo Mein is about as low maintenance as recipes come unless of course, you’re ordering it directly from your local take-out spot, but you can do this. Promise!
Here we’ve got a recipe filled with fresh veggies drowned in a super savory and tangy sauce all tossed with Mein Noodles for what I’d say is one perfect and easy dinner. I don’t know about you, but I could use some extra veggies right about this time.
If you’re big on your protein, no problem, just stir fry up some chicken or beef (or shrimp!!) just before you add the veggies. See we’re doing easy here.
You know you’re probably going to hit up the grocery store at least 3 more times between now and Christmas so just add these ingredients to your list and take “figure out dinner” off your insane to-do list.
Merry Christmas. Happy Holidays and everything in between…!
- 3 tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Sesame Oil
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 6 ounces Ramen Noodles uncooked
- 2 tablespoons Sesame Oil
- 6 Green Onions chopped, white and green parts
- 1/2 cup Carrots shredded
- 4 ounces Shiitake Mushrooms
- 1 Red Bell Pepper seeded and sliced
- 2 cups Broccoli fresh or frozen
- 2 tablespoons Mirin
- 2 teaspoons Sesame Seeds
- In a small bowl whisk the soy sauce, sesame oil, and sugar together until well combined, set aside.
- Prepare the noodles according to the package directions, drain, and set aside.
- Heat the sesame oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the onions (white parts only), carrots, mushrooms, bell pepper, and broccoli, tossing to coat with oil. Cook for 7 minutes or until the vegetables become tender.
- Add the mirin, and toss to coat again, then add the noodles and Sauce. Continue to stir and toss the noodles until the mixture has spread evenly.
- Garnish top with onions (green parts) and sesame seeds.