Last Updated on
Soup season is happening right now and it’s happening in the Instant Pot with this Thai Chicken and Rice Soup. I for one am pleased because Soup and the instant pot are the “easy buttons” of life, and right now I need those kinds of buttons.
I really, reeeeeally, enjoyed myself in the end of 2017 and started off 2018 full force going after my goals and I’m reporting back to say all is going very nicely (did you notice the new site layout? ???? Pretty swanky, eh?). But going full force, even though much of that force is devoted to this site, has me craving even easier and quicker dinners (kind of why I created this site). Insert the Instant Pot!
**You can totally make this in your slow cooker it just won’t quite fall under the quick and easy category. Instructions in the Notes.
This soup has a little kick, a little spice, but only for flavor not for heat, and paired with the oh-so-basic chicken and rice this could be a perfect meal for those dealing with cold and flu season. AKA getting you back to crushing your goals! That little red chili paste and garlic addition soothes sore throats and warms hearts. It’s a total Hallmark moment.
I try to make all my recipes “you” friendly, with you in mind, and by that I mean you can make them how you want. Take out what you want, add what you want, my recipe is only the base. With the base of this soup being the standard chicken, rice, and broth, you’ve got options. This Thai Chicken and Rice Soup is no different!
- Keep the meat, leave the meat, change the meat. Go for beef or shrimp if you’re tired of chicken.
- Rice ➡ Quinoa, you choose!
- Maybe you like broccoli better than spinach. IT’S YOUR CHOICE!
Personally, when I make it again I’ll leave out the mushrooms. No particular reason, just want to try a different version.
My kids did okay with this recipe too. It probably wasn’t their favorite meal of the year, but they didn’t push away either. Small victories! Perhaps, next time I make it I’ll ask them what they’d add or take away. I imagine I’ll get answers such as ice cream and pizza, but at least they’ll feel they’ve contributed in some way, right?
How would you make this recipe? Keep it as is (I mean, I’m all for simplicity) or change it up? I’d love to hear your versions in the comments. I also hope you’ve managed to escape any kind of sickness this cold and flu season. Maybe you’d like to be prepared though and make up a batch of thai chicken and rice soup and place it in a freezer safe bag to store for later.
This Thai Chicken and Rice Soup has a little kick, a little spice, but only for flavor not for heat. With the oh-so-basic chicken and rice base, you can also easily change the ingredients of this recipe to your liking. Make this in the Instant Pot in less than 20 mins!
- 4 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons Fish Sauce
- 3 tablespoons Red Chili Paste
- 1 15-oz can Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 cup Rice
- 3 Boneless, Skinless, Chicken Breast
- 6 cups Chicken Broth
- 8 ounces Shiitake Mushrooms, stems removed, sliced
- 1 cup Baby Spinach
- Garnish: Cilantro, Crushed Peanuts, Lime Juice/Wedges, Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- Instant Pot: Place all of the ingredients (except the garnishings) into your Instant Pot. Give the contents a quick stir, close, and set the valve to “sealing.” Press the Manual button and set the timer for 15 minutes. Once the timer has gone off press the Keep Warm/Cancel button and turn the valve to “venting.”
- After the steam has released, remove the lid and pull out your chicken pieces. Shred using 2 forks on a cutting board and return to the Instant Pot (you can also just use the forks to shred the chicken in the pot as well).
- Serve with garnishings of your choice.
Slow Cooker: Place all the ingredients into your slow cooker and cook for 4 to 5 hours on low, or 2 to 3 hours on high. Test the chicken to make sure it reaches an internal temp of 165 degrees. Remove the chicken and shred using 2 forks, while the chicken is still warm, return to the slow cooker and stir. Serve with garnishes of choice.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 264
- Sugar: 6.6 g
- Sodium: 1701 mg
- Fat: 4.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 19.4 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 36 g
- Cholesterol: 104 mg