This quick and easy Italian Stromboli and a family favorite that can be made in minutes. Loaded with delicious cured meats and smothered in cheese all wrapped in a baked crust makes it an irresistible appetizer or meal.
Friday nights in our house are currently labeled as “family fun night,” which doesn’t mean much, but it does mean pizza and a movie. It’s really just something we all look forward to each week and a time to gather as a family.
Depending on the week we’ll either make pizza like this recent favorite prosciutto mozzarella pizza, heat up a frozen one, or get takeout. Sometimes I get really creative and make homemade garlic knots. My favorites are the weeks where I’ve still got some energy left to prepare something homemade.
If I am low on energy and the thought of a homemade pizza crust is daunting I opt for something extremely simple like stromboli. Stromboli is similar to a calzone, but it more like a doughy turnover filled with cheese, pizza sauce, and cured meats, or your favorite pizza toppings.
This baked sandwich-like pizza-style dinner makes the perfect family fun night because my kids can easily help prepare it.
What You’ll Need
Though this is a very basic stromboli recipe it has more of an “Italian” twist with seasoning and pesto added in. This slight addition brings a more intense and unique flavor than a traditional recipe.
These ingredients can be easily changed as well if you’d prefer to add different meats and cheeses or even use homemade pizza dough.
- Refrigerated Pizza Dough
- Pizza Sauce
- Italian Salami
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Basil Pesto
- Italian Seasoning
- Roll out the refrigerated pizza dough and lightly coat it with pizza sauce.
- Generously sprinkle with Italian seasoning on top of the pizza sauce.
- Layer the salami on top of the pizza sauce making sure to not cover the edges, but overlap the slices.
- Place the pepperoni slices on top of the salami.
- Generously spread the pesto on top of the meat layer (you can easily add more if you’d like).
- Sprinkle the cheese on top.
- Carefully roll one side of the Stromboli to the other and place the seam side down. Brush with the beaten egg and use a sharp knife to cut slices into the top of the stromboli.
- Sprinkle the remaining shredded cheese on top and dust with garlic powder and fresh parsley.
- Bake at 400ºF for 15 to 25 minutes, or until the top begins to turn golden brown.
Stromboli Recipe Variations
This is such a fun and simple dinner and one you can change up every time you make it. Below are some of my favorite options for changing it up.
One of my favorite pizzerias (aside from basically anyone in New York City) is Mellow Mushroom. I love to look through their pizza combinations on the menu and use them to get variations for stromboli.
- Hawaiian: swap the salami and pepperoni for sliced ham and pineapple chunks.
- Meatlovers: add some crumbled sausage, sliced ham, and crumbled bacon.
- Vegetarian: remove the salami and pepperoni and add your favorite vegetables. Some of the ones I like are mushrooms, onions, olives, and peppers.
How to Store
- Storage Information: should you have any stromboli leftovers, you can easily store them in the fridge to enjoy later. They’ll last for about two days if kept in an air-tight container.
- Make-Ahead Information: follow the recipe as directed and let it cool completely. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or store it in an air-tight container and keep it in the fridge. To serve heat it up for 10 minutes at 350ºF.
- Freezing Instructions: prepare the recipe completely and then let it cool before wrapping it tightly in plastic wrap. To serve, let it thaw, and then bake at 400ºF for 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown on top.
Recipe Notes and Tips for Making Italian Stromboli:
- The more layers the better! I like to do a layer of salami then pepperoni and add another layer of salami.
- Cut the slits in the top about 2 inches apart and use those slits to slice the stromboli after it has cooled.
- If you’d like to make this recipe ahead of time it can be stored in the fridge overnight or even frozen to enjoy later.
- 1 tube Refrigerated Pizza Dough
- 1/2 cup Pizza Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 12 slices Italian Salami
- 18 slices Pepperoni
- 1/4 cup Pesto Sauce
- 1½ cups Shredded Mozzarella
- 1 large Egg beaten
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF and roll the pizza dough out onto parchment paper. Spread the pizza sauce over the dough leaving about 1/2-inch edge all around.
- Sprinkle the Italian seasoning on top of the pizza sauce and then layer with the Italian salami and pepperoni.
- Spread the pesto on top of the cured meats layer and then sprinkle with about 1 1/4 cups of shredded mozzarella.
- Tightly roll one side to the other being careful to not let the toppings slide out. Place the seam side down on the parchment and move to a baking sheet.
- Brush the top of the stromboli with the beaten egg. Using a sharp knife carefully cut small slices into the top of the stromboli.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top and dust with garlic powder and fresh parsley.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until the top is golden brown. Let rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
- You can also use homemade pizza dough for this recipe.