Lately, I’ve been dreaming of roasted red peppers, hazards of operating a food blog, and so I thought “if you don’t follow your dreams, what are you following?” Amiright…?
Somehow the topic of roasted red peppers has actually come up in several recent conversations I’ve had with friends, again food blogging hazards, and not only have I been craving them, but I’ve known I needed to incorporate them somehow into a recipe and SOON!
Q: The big question was how?
A: The answer, Roasted Red Pepper Baked Rigatoni
This pasta is not for those afraid of a good calorie or two and one that should be an indulgence you take seriously because this dish is seriously good. With rigatoni swimming in a creamy roasted red pepper sauce and melted cheesy goodness baked in, you’re going to think twice about putting your spoon down and pushing your plate away. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.
Another fact, this sauce is on point and should be used on basically e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g. Really, you could just make the sauce and boil up some noodles and call it a day, or dinner, cause it’s that good (or maybe that’s all the time you have), but maybe you want more substance and that’s where this baked rigatoni comes into play cause there’s the obvious cheese you see happily melted everywhere, but there’s also some sausage hanging out in there too. This is substance at it’s best my friend.
- You can easily make this sauce vegan by switching to a non-dairy milk, which will be just as delicious, but a bit less thick, you’d also need to omit the cheese from the full recipe.
- Don’t be scared of sneaking in some extra vegetables, I do it ALL THE TIME, mainly for my kids, but also because I love them, the vegetables, but I love my kids too, obviously. Try some zucchini or spinach.
This recipe isn’t too fussy, meaning it doesn’t require a ton of effort and part of the brilliance is that you don’t have to cook the noodles prior. Hello, time saver!
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 Red Bell Peppers seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
- 1 teaspoon Oregano
- 1 lb Sausage sliced
- 1/2 cup Diced Onion
- 2 Garlic Clove minced
- 1 cup Chicken Broth
- 28 ounces Crushed Tomatoes
- 16 ounces Rigatoni
- 8 ounces Mozzarella Cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to an oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Add the bell peppers and sauté for about 2 minutes until they begin to soften and edges begin to blacken. Remove peppers from the skillet and place them in a food processor or blender.
- Pour the heavy cream and oregano into the processor and grind until smooth.
- Add the remaining olive oil, sausage, and onions to the skillet and cook until lightly browned for about 4 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant, an additional 30 seconds.
- Pour in the chicken broth, tomatoes, and rigatoni. Season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Cover the skillet and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until the pasta is tender, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat and top with the mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
- Place the skillet in the oven and bake pasta for an additional 10 to 15 minutes until cheese has completely melted and started to brown.