If you’re dying to know what makes these Fudge Brownies the best brownie ever then read on to learn the secret ingredient.
Did I get your attention with the “secret ingredient” title? Have you already clicked “jump to recipe” to see what it is…? It’s cool! I’d have done it too ????
If not, well allow me to blow your mind…
It’s a box of brownie mix! Gasp?!?
These aren’t your average Betty Crocker or Duncan Hines Brownies though and I’m going to tell you why, but also show how critical their little boxes are to this recipe.
First let’s discuss this creamy chocolate-ty icing going on that you see in this pic ???????? below, because it takes these brownies from heaven-like status to a whole new realm of utopia. It does exist my friends in the form of powdered sugar, milk, butter and cocoa powder. I think we can all agree there.
Before we go on let me just point out how obnoxious my brownie cutting is in the above pic and oh my how it annoys me! I cringe just looking at those lines…
So let’s discuss the fudge-like brownies because that is indeed why we’re here today. These little slices of heaven are extremely dense, which makes, in my opinion, the perfect brownie.
Here’s where these differ, the box suggests adding oil and eggs but we’re going to change that up a bit by adding Butter, Buttermilk, Vanilla and keeping the eggs. Mix it all together and bake. Done!
It’s that easy and for that very reason I brought these brownies to a church get together this past Saturday and they were a huge success! They came in second to my Lemon Bars, which was also on the dessert table (recipe coming up next week! ????) and those are next level or so I’ve been told but in my humble opinion, they are one of my absolute favorite desserts to make and enjoy!
If you’re dying to know what makes these Fudge Brownies the best brownie ever then click this recipe to learn the secret ingredient.
- 1 box Brownie Mix (I used Duncan Hines)
- 6 tablespoons Butter (room temperature)
- 1/4 cup Buttermilk
- 1 large Egg
- 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 4 tablespoons Butter
- 2 tablespoons 2 teaspoons Milk
- 1 tablespoon Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 1/2 cup Powdered Sugar
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Line an 8×8 or 9×9 metal baking pan with foil and coat lightly with oil.
- Whisk the Brownie Mix, Butter, Buttermilk, Egg and Vanilla in a large bowl until well combined. Don’t be alarmed as the batter will be very thick in consistency. Spread out into the prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes, or until a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for at least 20 minutes. In a medium saucepan over low heat, melt the Butter for the frosting. Add the Cocoa Powder and Milk, stiring continuously until the mixture begins to boil. Remove from the heat and stir in the Powdered Sugar using a whisk.
- Refridgerate brownies until they begin to set, which is about 20 to 30 minutes. Once cooled, remove from the pan and peel off the foil. Cut into squares and eat them all!
If you don’t have buttermilk or don’t want to buy an entire carton (I get it!) for this recipe then just place 1 teaspoon of lemon juice in your measuring cup and fill with milk to the 1/4 cup line. Whisk continuously for about 30 seconds.