Sheet Pan Salsa Verde Chicken Fajitas are the tangy new way to enjoy a delicious taco Tuesday, or Wednesday, or any other day of the week. This healthy meal is made in minutes, leaving you with little cleanup, and tons of leftover salsa verde.
Sheet Pan Salsa Verde Chicken Fajitas
School days have come to an end in our house and summer is heating up, which means I need no-mess, no-fuss, and very little cleanup for dinner recipes. Sheet pan meals made with healthy and fresh ingredients like these Sheet Pan Salsa Verde Chicken Fajitas are the perfect answer when my kids are asking what’s for dinner.
These fajitas will please everyone giving each family member their own options, including the pickiest ones in the bunch. Make super simple fajitas using only the seasoned chicken and tangy tomatillo salsa verde or load them up by adding the roasted vegetables, fresh cilantro, and steamed rice toppings too.
How to Make Salsa Verde
Tomatillos, known as the Mexican husk tomato, are the key ingredient in salsa verde and have a tart and citrusy taste, as well as bright green shade. Making them into salsa verde is extremely easy and the batch in the recipe below will leave you with plenty of leftovers for later tortilla chip dipping.
You’ll most likely find tomatillos in the produce section of your local grocery store near the, you guessed it, tomatoes. Look for ones that are firm and bright green as opposed to shriveled ones. The rest of the very common salsa verde ingredients are garlic, cilantro, white onion, lime juice, cumin, and salt and pepper.
For the VERY easy 2 step process of making salsa verde start by setting the oven to broil and roasting the tomatillos (remove the outer husk first) until the tops begin to char and brown.
Place them in a blender or food processor and pour in the remaining ingredients. Carefully, since the tomatillos will still be slightly warm, pulse or blend the ingredients until well combined.
How to Make this Meal Family Friendly
If you have picky eaters, or should I say those who know their tastes well, in your house then this is a perfect family meal to please all levels of taste. When preparing the fajitas for my kids I spooned out some steamed rice on the side and placed the seasoned chicken inside the flour tortilla with a little cheese and avocado.
My husband had a slightly similar version, which included the salsa verde but no peppers and onions. Then for myself who likes just about everything I loaded up my fajitas with all the ingredients listed.
This is one of those a la carte meals that leaves room for you to put it together however you, or your family, would like.
How to Make Sheet Pan Fajitas
- Season the chicken with spices and olive oil and place on one side of a large rimmed baking sheet.
- Toss the onion and peppers with olive oil and set them on the opposite side of the sheet.
- Cook for 25 to 35 minutes at 425 degrees ℉ and toss the ingredients to mix.
- Warm or toast tortillas and top with sheet pan ingredients as well as additional garnishes such as pre-made salsa verde, steamed rice, sour cream, or avocado.
Can these be Made Vegetarian?
Yes, absolutely! Remove the chicken and just add more peppers and onions. There are so many delicious components to these Sheet Pan Salsa Verde Chicken Fajitas that you won’t even miss the chicken. Although, it is quite a tasty version of chicken.
If you’re craving more fajitas then try these Hawaiian Chicken Skillet Fajitas next.
- 1½ lbs Boneless, Skinless, Chicken Breast
- 1 tablespoon Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Green Bell Pepper seeded and sliced
- 1 Poblano Pepper sliced
- 1 Sweet Onion sliced thin
- 10 small Flour Tortillas
- 1 cup Jasmine Rice
- 3/4 lbs Tomatillos husks removed
- 4 Garlic Cloves peeled
- 1/2 cup Fresh Cilantro
- 1/2 cup White Onion
- 1 tablespoon Lime Juice
- 1/4 teaspoon Cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
SHEET PAN CHICKEN
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees ℉.
- In a large bowl toss the sliced Chicken with the Chili Powder, Cumin, Paprika, Garlic Powder, and 2 tablespoons of Olive Oil. Place on one side of a rimmed baking sheet in one even layer.
- Toss the Bell Pepper, Poblano Pepper, and Onion with the remaining Olive Oil and set on the other side of the baking sheet. Transfer to the oven and cook for 25 to 35 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through (or reaches an internal temp of 165 degrees ℉). Remove from the oven and toss everything together.
- Serve with warmed tortillas and top with Steamed Rice and Salsa Verde (recipe instructions below).
- Set the oven to BROIL.
- Remove the outer husks from the Tomatillos and rise. Place on a rimmed baking sheet and broil for 10 to 15 minutes or until the tomatillos begin to brown on top.
- Remove from the oven and place in a blender or food processor. Add the Garlic, Cilantro, Lime Juice, Cumin, and Salt. Pulse until desired consistency is reached (Remember to hot ingredients expand when placed in a blender or processor so be careful).
- Serve immediately or store in an air-tight container in the fridge.