Preparing easy skillet meals during the week helps dinner pass by smoothly. Try this Healthy Country Chicken Skillet.
Lemme guess we’re little ways into the new year and dinner has you guessing again? Life is in full swing and you need, WANT, healthy and quick meals because 2018 is your year, but that also means it’s already ramped up. Skillet Chicken in Mushroom Sauce is your jam then! Here’s why:
- this is a clean meal (meaning nothing processed)
- it takes less than 30 mins to prepare, srsly!
- gluten free
- low in cals and anything else bad for you
- something you can cook for your entire fam (kids included, again srsly)
You’re already off to a good start! This skillet chicken is packed with garlicky mushroom thyme-type flavor and can easily be eaten alone or on top of some kind of mashed potatoes (may I suggest sweet) or rice.
If you really want to go next level healthy (I totally did) then pair it with some green-type veggies. A huge bonus here, but you can take the delicious mushroom juices in the bottom and pour it directly on top of your prepared plate and really you then have perfection.
Because this dish is time friendly, meaning it’s done in less than 30 minutes, you can make it fresh most, non-busy, nights, but you can also make a double batch and have leftovers later.
This dish is your friend! It’s always good to have one of those back-pocket recipes you can make super quickly and happens to be something healthy everyone likes. THIS IS THAT MEAL!
When I first prepared this recipe we’d been snowed in for what seemed like a month but was likely day 3 of some serious cabin fever and our neighbor’s kids were over. One of the girls asked me what we were having for dinner as they were headed home and I told her “chicken in mushroom sauce.”
Her face did wrinkle a bit, and she asked, “Are Autumn and Winston having that too cause they probably won’t eat it?” Well, yes, they were having it too. It’s a rare night I make them a different dish than what Jonathan and I are having, but this caused me to pause. Was I going out on a limb here? To me this skillet chicken seemed fairly basic, I mean, it really IS basic. So I had to leave it up to my taste-testers.
Turns out this recipe is truly family friendly (for mine) because later that evening my kids ate every last bit of this chicken and asked for more. I gave myself an imaginary high-five and noted this meal to be a good one for the future.
Skillet Chicken in Mushroom Sauce
- 4 tablespoons Butter divided
- 2 lbs Chicken Thighs
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 2 tablespoons Flour
- 1/2 cup White Wine
- 1 cup Chicken Broth
- 8 ounces Sliced Mushrooms
- 1/2 cup Frozen Pearl Onions or diced onions
- 3 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon Thyme
- Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a heavy-bottomed or cast iron medium-sized skillet, over medium-high heat. Season both sides of the chicken thighs with salt and pepper. Add the chicken to the skillet and cook on each side for 4 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Place the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter into the skillet and let melt. Whisk in the flour until combined with the melted butter and the mixture begins to bubble.
- Slowly pour in the wine while stirring continuously. Let simmer for 2 minutes, before adding the chicken broth.
- Add the mushrooms, onions, garlic, and thyme. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 2 additional minutes.
- Add the chicken back to the skillet and nestle in between the mushrooms and onions. Cover and cook for 10 minutes or until the center of the chicken reaches 160 degrees.