This easy, low carb, gluten-free weeknight Skillet Chicken in Mushroom Sauce is quick and easy (30 mins or less!) as well as tasty and healthy. Basically, it’s the perfect dinner.
- 4 tablespoons Butter, divided in half
- 6 to 8 Boneless, Skinless, Chicken Thighs
- Salt and Pepper, seasoning
- 2 tablespoons Coconut Flour (or flour of choice)
- 1/2 cup White Wine
- 1 cup Broth, beef or chicken
- 8 ounces Sliced Mushrooms (one package)
- 1/2 cup Frozen Pearl Onions, optional
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Thyme
- Melt 2 tablespoons of the Butter in a heavy-bottomed or cast iron medium-sized skillet, over medium-high heat. Season both sides of the Chicken Thighs with Salt and Pepper. Add the chicken to the skillet and cook on each side for 4 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Place the remaining 2 tablespoons of Butter into the skillet and let melt before adding the Flour. Whisk the flour vigorously until it’s fully combined with the butter and starts to bubble. Slowly add the Wine while stirring continuously. Let simmer for 2 minutes, before adding the Broth. Whisk the broth in and add the Mushrooms, Onions (if using), and Garlic. Toss to coat and season with the Garlic Powder and Thyme. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 2 additional minutes.
- Add the chicken back to the skillet and nestle in between the mushrooms and onions. Cover and cook for 10 minutes or until the center of the chicken reaches 160 degrees.
Any flour will work for this recipe, however, if using all-purpose flour your sauce will thicken MUCH quicker than a gluten-free version.