Perfectly seared steak with a slightly crispy layer and perfectly pink center topped with a green dream sauce of finely chopped oregano, cilantro, and kale yes kale, swirled with oil and vinegar is what skillet steak with kale chimichurri is all about.
Dreams, friends, this meal is about dreams and keeping them alive! Too far?
Personally, the meat and potato lover that I am dreams of this exact meal when I’m simultaneously dreaming about a much needed date night. Here’s where the magic happens – I prepare this fancy, but not really care I don’t have that kind of energy, dinner and then call it a not-so-date-datenight-dinner.
This is life with toddlers! But it’s great… Truly!
This oh, so healthy, and super simple meal is made in under 30 minutes and while it’s nothing new
What is Chimichurri?
Chimichurri is an uncooked sauce used in marinades, toppings, and anything else you can dream of putting it on like salads or steak bowls. It originates from Argentina and Uruguay and is traditionally made with finely chopped ingredients of parsley, garlic, oregano, and mixed with olive oil and red wine vinegar.
Currently, I’m still detoxing from all our summer vacation and travel so I wanted to add a little more to this sauce by switching out the red wine vinegar for some organic apple cider as well as chopping up some kale.
This fresh sauce can be using on just about anything too. Your morning omelet, lunch salad, or even fish and chicken. Pour on for some added flavor and health benefits.
How to Cook the Perfect Skillet Steak
Allow the steak to reach room temperature before cooking, by setting out for approximately 30 minutes prior to prep.
Generously season both sides of the meat with salt and pepper and any other spices.
Use a heavy-bottomed or iron skillet and melt oil and butter together over a high heat. Cook the steak for 4 to 5 minutes on both sides. Reduce the heat to medium and continue cooking the meat, evenly on each side until you reach the desired temp of 125℉ to 135℉.
For added flavor place some butter to melt on top of the steak just before removing from the skillet.
- 1 small Shallot chopped fine
- 1 Red Jalapeno seeded and chopped, optional
- 4 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 cup Cilantro shredded and chopped
- 1/4 cup Parsley shredded and chopped
- 1/4 cup Kale shredded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons Fresh Oregano chopped finely
- 3/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Combine, Shallot, Jalapeno, Garlic, Vinegar, and Salt in a medium bowl. Let sit for 10 minutes while chopping the Cilantro, Parsley, and Kale. Once completely chopped add all greens to the bowl with the Olive Oil. Whisk all ingredients together.
- In a large cast-iron, or heavy-bottomed skillet heat Butter and Oil over medium-high heat. Season both sides of meat with salt and pepper. Place the meat in the skillet and cook on each side for 4 to 5 minutes. Check meat using a meat thermometer – 125℉ for rare, 130℉ for medium-rare, 135℉ for medium.
- Slice steak against the grain and serve with chimichurri sauce.