Last Updated on
Just like everyone else in the world I also have some, and by some I mean a very very few, foods I distaste (unless we’re talking obscure foreign foods and I’m sure the list could potentially grow, but let’s scratch that for now). Parsnips is one of these foods, which in my opinion isn’t all that bizarre. I mean, are there a ton of parsnip loving people out there? I know, I know, probably there’s a whole community with a blog and all, and if so I’m glad you’re here I’m just not ready to join your group yet. Yes I know parsnips are in Vegetable Stock, but that’s different (right? it is really!).
I bring this up because I really do love peas, and I’m aware many of you do not. What I love even more is peas and carrots with mashed potatoes, which obviously somehow directly relates back to my childhood. There’s something so heartwarming about foods that remind you of your childhood, especially when you have an opportunity to prepare them for your own children, but my point in mentioning this and then turning all sappy is that I totally get comfort food.
The Slow Cooker Beef & Vegetables with Cauliflower Mash is like home to me. Not only is it a comfort food, but it’s a far more healthy version since you’re swapping out the potatoes with cauliflower and dropping a few minute ingredients.
This recipe gets even more bonus points because it’s a slow cooker meal, which means prepare the ingredients, drop them into your cooker and be on with your day. It’s the perfect weeknight meal and makes for a great leftover lunch too so I encourage you to hit up the grocery store on your way home today and make the Slow Cooker Beef & Vegetables with Cauliflower Mash for dinner tomorrow.
Want more super easy and healthy dinner recipes? Try this Black Bean & Sweet Potato Chili
The Slow Cooker Beef & Vegetables with Cauliflower Mash is a healthy version of a classic comfort food you can happily enjoy without the guilt.
- 1 1/2 lbs Beef Chuck Roast (Trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces )
- 2 Large Carrots (Chopped)
- 1 Medium Onion (Chopped)
- 2 Cups Low Sodium Beef Broth
- 2 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 2 Tablespoons White Whole Wheat Flour
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 Head Cauliflower
- 1/4 Cup Milk of your choice ((I used Whole Milk))
- 2 Cups Frozen Peas
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- Combine the Beef, Carrots, Onion, Tomato Paste, Flour, and some Salt and Pepper in your slow cooker. Some additional spices you may consider adding are Chili Powder or fresh Thyme.
- Cover and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours, or on high for 4 to 5 hours. Just before you’re ready to turn your slow cooker off add in the peas and stir. Cook for an additional 3 to 5 minutes.
- With about 30 minutes left in the cooking process begin to prepare the Cauliflower Mash. Chop up the Cauliflower into small chunks, removing the green stems at the bottom. Place in a large pot and cover with water. Bring the water to a boil and look cook for about 20 minutes or until the cauliflower has softened.
- Using a slotted spoon scoop out the cauliflower and place into a blender. Pour the Milk into the blender and blend until smooth. Season with Salt and Pepper.
- Place the Cauliflower Mash in the bottom of your serving bowl and spoon the Beef mixture on top. Enjoy!