The Southwest Black Bean Burger with Sweet Chili Mayo is a meatless weekend meal family favorite. The sweet and spicy mayo combined with the corn salsa create a Southwest flavor explosion.
Do you or a loved one suffer from “Grocery Storeitis?”
Do you often come home from the grocery store only to realize you forgot one key item? Later when you return to the store for this particular item do you pick up others you think you may be out of, then when you get home you find you actually had plenty of that item?
If so you could be suffering from grocery storeitis…
In my family, specifically the women, we have a genetic disorder, or so my husband likes to think, I have since labeled “grocery storeitis.” This disorder is one in which you go to the grocery store multiple times in one week generally because you forgot one key item (how was it not on my list?!?!).
These additional visits usually also lead to “Oh, you know I think I’m out of vanilla, I’ll just get some.” Then I get home and realize “nope it was Almond Extract I was out of! Oops.” In which case I now have 2 bottles of vanilla and none of the almond extract. The cycle then begins all over again.
My most recent item I always seem to think I’m out of is black beans, which I use often in cooking, especially when trying to prepare meatless, yet satisfying to a meat-loving-husband, type meals. So as my Black Bean supply began to resemble that of the shelves at Costco I decided I needed to start incorporating them into more recipes than I actually thought I already was.
Cue the Black Bean & Sweet Potato Tacos and now this Southwest Black Bean Burger with Sweet Chili Mayo, which of course I naturally had all the ingredients to prepare except for the brioche buns (Insert grocery store trip here, which then led me to purchase canned Coconut Milk, which I thought I was out of, but alas I had 2 cans. Sigh…).
This is NOT your hippie vegan type burger (obviously, it has cheese on it), but it’s super hearty! And yes you read that right above, I have a MEAT-LOVING husband, so how did I get him to eat not 1 but 2 vegetarian, or as he likes to call them “meatless” meals in one week? ???????? (see picture below)!
My husband didn’t even know it wasn’t your standard all-beef all-day burger! Hello, dinner success! In my humble opinion, I think the Sweet Chili Mayo really makes this burger absolute perfection. You can say it’s the black bean pattie or the bun, and honestly, I won’t disagree with you.
There is also two other key flavors going on in this bad boy, which are the Sweet Chili Mayo, which really you should just place on top of everything, and then the Corn Salsa that is subtle but adds to that southwest kick. And for those of you with super little ones, this is super easy to deconstruct for them.
This is burger perfection friends!
Most importantly, know if there’s a meat-lover in your family you don’t have to tell them this isn’t meat. They’re never gonna know the difference and that’s between you and me ????!
Black Bean Burger
- 2 15-ounce cans Black Beans drained not rinsed
- 1 cup Breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup Onions grated
- 1 large Egg
- 1/2 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1 tablespoon Sweet Chili Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 4 slices Pepper Jack Cheese
- 4 Brioche Buns
Sweet Chili Mayo
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Sweet Chili Sauce
- 2 teaspoons Lemon Juice
- Place the drained, not rinsed, black beans in a medium-sized bowl and mash with a fork. Mash until the beans are mostly broken up, but still have some whole beans visible. Add in the breadcrumbs, onion, egg, chili powder, sweet chili sauce (additionally salt and pepper can also be added). Stir well until combined.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter in an iron skillet or a heavy-bottomed one over medium-low heat. Form the bean mixture into burger-shaped patties the same size as the buns (the won't shrink while cooking) and place into the skillet to cook for 5 to 7 minutes on each side. Place a slice of cheese on top of each burger just before removing it from the skillet.
- In a small bowl whisk the sweet chili mayo ingredients together until smooth and well combined.
- Toast the buns if desired and layer with the black bean burger and top with the sweet chili mayo.