Layers of fluffy spiced cake pieced together with a buttery, sweet, bourbon buttercream are the highlights of this Spice Cake with Bourbon Buttercream. Dress up any fall or winter holiday with this delicious dessert.
Spice Cake with Bourbon Buttercream
One bitterly cold winter in New York I found myself snowed in with then newborn who napped multiple times a day. I should have been napping myself, but started messing around in the kitchen and found myself baking a cake instead.
This quickly turned into a hobby and I ended up with more cakes than we could possibly eat. My baking adventures began to take a creative turn and I was making cake flavors such as champagne and Earl Grey, which is where this spice cake originated. The hints of spice paired with the bourbon buttercream are delicious and bring out the flavors.
Ingredients in Spice Cake
- Baking Powder and Baking Soda
- Spices: cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ginger, and allspice.
- Brown Sugar
- Almond Extract
How to Make Bourbon Buttercream
When I was experimenting with making cakes I quickly learned the ratios need to make a delicious buttercream frosting. To make a perfectly thick but smooth buttercream the below ratios work best.
Ingredients in Bourbon Buttercream
- Brown Sugar
- Powdered Sugar
Beat Butter with Brown Sugar until light and fluffy. Slowly add in the Milk and Bourbon. Add the Powdered Sugar 1 cup at a time until the frosting reaches the desired consistency.
- 2 cups Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 2 teaspoons Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon Allspice
- 1/2 cup Butter room temperature
- 1½ cups Brown Sugar
- 3 large Eggs
- 1 tablespoon Almond Extract
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 1 cup Butter room temperature
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 2 tablespoons Bourbon
- 4 cups Powdered Sugar
- 4 ounces Bittersweet Chocolate
- 3 tablespoons Butter cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon Heavy Cream
- 1 tablespoon Cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two 8 or 9-inch cake pans (for this cake I used three 6-inch round cake pans). In a medium bowl sift together Flour, Baking Soda, Baking Powder, and all Spices.
- Using an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the Butter and Brown Sugar until light and fluffy. Add in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add in Almond Extract. Mix in the flour mixture alternating with the buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Pour the batter into the prepped cake pans. Use a spatula to ensure the batter is evenly distributed. Bake for 30 – 35 minutes or until the tops are golden brown. Set cake pans on a wire rack; let cook for 5 minutes.
- While the cake is baking prepare the frosting. Beat Butter with Brown Sugar until light and fluffy. Slowly add in the Milk and Bourbon. Add the Powdered Sugar 1 cup at a time until the frosting reaches the desired consistency.
- To prepare the glaze melt the Chocolate and Butter in a double boiler (or hold a small saucepan over boiling water). Remove from heat and whisk in Heavy Cream. Dissolve the Corn Starch in a small splash of milk and then whisk into the chocolate mixture. Once the glaze has cooled drizzle on top of the frosted cake.