Soft, crumble-in-your-mouth Traditional Southern Cornbread is the perfect side staple for any meal whether it’s breakfast or dinner. This easily made from scratch bread is slightly sweet and super moist.
Traditional Southern Cornbread
Most Southerners can find any excuse to serve the southern staple cornbread with any meal, and for good reason too. This semi-sweet and savory bread works aside from breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Crumble the bread on top of a casserole or turn it into a bread pudding.
Another great time to use cornbread is when preparing for a gathering. Make a double batch, especially for holidays, and then your guaranteed extra for when you have leftovers. Try pairing this cornbread and this recipe for easy leftover turkey soup.
What to Serve with Cornbread
Cornbread does pair well with most meals, but some are better than others. I’ve listed some of my favorite recipes to serve the delicious bread below.
Can You Freeze Cornbread
Yes, this bread freezes well and can be stored in your freezer in an air-tight container, or cut it up and place it into parchment paper wrapped in foil. To serve, let the bread come to room temperature and sit for 30 minutes, before serving.
Want More Recipes using Corn? Try These:
- 1¼ cup Flour
- 1 cup Cornmeal
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1¼ cup Buttermilk
- 1/4 cup Unsalted Butter melted
- 1/4 cup Bacon Grease or vegetable oil
- 1 large Egg
- Preheat the oven to 375 ℉ and lightly grease a 9-inch square pan or round skillet (a shallow casserole dish will work as well).
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate small bowl, stir the buttermilk, butter, bacon grease or oil, and egg together until fully combined. Slowly pour the wet mixture into the dry stirring until just mixed. The batter will be thick so don't overmix it.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan or skillet and cook for 20 to 25 minutes, until the edges begin to pull away from the pan and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.