Usually, when I’m planning out my meals I often have everyone else in mind, after all my goal is dinner time bliss and what makes them happy, or lick their plates clean, makes me happy. Everyone wins! Sometimes, though I sneak one in I know will really be only for me, because you still gotta look out for number one. This Vegan Butternut Squash Macaroni was ALL ME!
I did try to pull one over on my kids and sneak this in for lunch, but they were less than thrilled and out came the peanut butter and jelly. It happens, and it happens a good amount around here because I am often trying new recipes. Personally, I’m not sure what’s wrong with them, because I loved this macaroni and it even without the cheese, but it STILL had a hint of a cheesy flavor (we’ll get to that in a minute though).
Here we have a pretty healthy version of “sort of” mac and cheese because, well, there’s no cheese, AND we’ve got vegetables all mixed in this 7-ingredient only meal. It’s nothing fancy, remember no fancy here, but you feel fancy and progressive cause you’re eating VEGAN! It’s super cool and yes healthy. Why? Well…
- Squash, because yes to vegetables
- Almond Milk, no to dairy!
- Vinegar, interesting
- Tahini, oh yes!
- Olive Oil, necessary
- Nutritional Yeast, how you get that cheesy with no cheese flavor
- Pasta, the basis for it all
There you have your 7 easy ingredients, which you could technically top with some non-dairy cheese. It does exist friends! Personally, I’d meal prep this recipe and store it in individual containers for a perfectly wonderful lunch option that doesn’t include the crusts of your toddlers sandwich.
While we’re talking about the many benefits of this vegan macaroni, let me just say it’s also pretty amazing cold. Desk lunch anyone? That’s what I thought! See you at noon…Print
Mac & Cheese doesn’t get much healthier than this Vegan Butternut Squash, which takes less than 20 minutes to prepare and only has 6 ingredients!
- 1 cup Frozen Butternut Squash
- 1/2 cup Plain Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/4 cup Tahini
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons Nutritional Yeast
- 1 8-ounce package Pasta
- Bring about 1-inch of water and Frozen Butternut Squash to a boil in a medium-sized pot. Once water begins to boil, cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Continue to cook on low for about 5 minutes or until squash is soft. While the squash is steaming prepare the noodles by cooking them in a large stockpot of boiling water for about 10 minutes, or until al dente.
- In a blender combine the cooked Butternut Squash, Almond Milk, Apple Cider Vinegar, Tahini, Olive Oil, and Nutritional Yeast.
- Drain noodles and place back into the stockpot. Pour the sauce over the noodles and toss to coat evenly.
If you’re not concerned about going vegan with this recipe then you can swap out the nutritional yeast for grated parmesan cheese and get a similar flavor.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 282 g
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 24 mg
- Fat: 10 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 39 g
- Fiber: 2.7 g
- Protein: 8 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg