Easy Homemade Eggnog
Rich, creamy, and deliciously indulgent this drink is the ultimate holiday treat that you can make at home in under 15 minutes. This Easy Homemade Eggnog can be sweetened or spiced to your liking and is also made with cooked eggs (but there's a raw egg version too).
Servings: 10 Servings
Candy Thermometer (or cooking thermometer)
Measuring Cups and Spoons
Electric Mixer or Handheld Mixer
- 2 cups Whole Milk
- 1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 cup + 6 tablespoons Sugar divided
- 6 large Eggs separated
- 1/8 teaspoon Salt
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract or seeds from 1 vanilla bean
- 1 teaspoon Nutmeg for topping
In a large saucepan heat the milk and cream over medium heat until just warm, stirring frequently to keep the milk from scorching.
In a medium mixing bowl whisk the 1 cup of sugar, egg yolks, and salt together until smooth. Use a ladle to scoop some of the warmed milk mixtures into the egg yolk mixture, stirring continuously as you pour.
Pour the egg yolk mixture into the saucepan and heat until the mixture reaches 160℉ (the safe temperature for raw eggs) about 5 to 7 minutes, stirring continuously. Remove the saucepan from the heat and let cool.
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or using a handheld mixer beat the 6 tablespoons of sugar and the egg whites until a ribbon-like texture begins to form. This is just before the mixture becomes stiff and forms peaks.
Add the nutmeg and vanilla extract and mix until just combined. Gently pour the egg whites into the saucepan and fold into the mixture.
Place the eggnog in the refrigerator to chill and also thicken for a minimum of 2 hours. Stir before serving.
- When warming the milk and cream make sure to stir it constantly so the milk doesn't burn. You want it to be warm, not boiling.
- You will know the egg whites are done when they form a ribbon-like texture, which is just before stiff peaks form.
- For an even richer and more intense flavor instead of using vanilla extract scrap the seeds out of 1 vanilla bean and add them to the mixture.
- Before serving place some whipped cream on top of each drink and grate some fresh nutmeg on top.
- For a nuttier flavor swap the vanilla extract for almond extract or try some rum extract for a little flavor kick.
- Eggnog is best when you let it age for a bit in the fridge, which is why I recommend the bare minimum of 2 hours, but ideally, you'll make it 2 days in advance of when you plan on consuming it for the best flavor.
- Make-Ahead Instructions: eggnog can be made up to 2 days in advance of when you plan on serving it and should be consumed in 4 to 5 days after preparing it. Follow the recipe completely to make it ahead and store it in a container with an air-tight lid until ready to serve. Before serving give the mixture a good stir.
- Leftover Instructions: this beverage will last for up to 5 days after you prepare it and should be stored in an air-tight container in the fridge. You can also keep it in a pitcher and cover the pitcher tightly with plastic wrap.
Eggnog Using Raw Eggs Instructions:
- Place the egg whites into a large bowl and the egg yolks into a medium bowl.
- Add the sugar and salt to the egg yolks and whisk together until smooth and creamy.
- Pour the milk, cream, and vanilla extract into the mixture and mix well until blended and well combined.
- Whisk the egg whites using an electric mixer or a handheld mixer until a ribbon-like texture begins to form.
- Carefully fold the egg whites into the milk and cream mixture and place in the fridge to chill for a minimum of two hours.
If you add 1/2 cup to 1 cup of liquor the eggnog will last for several days and if you add 1 1/2 cups of liquor to the mixture it will last for several weeks. If you plan on aging the eggnog for more than a few days place it in a sealed container such as a mason jar.
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 355kcal | Carbohydrates: 27g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Cholesterol: 202mg | Sodium: 138mg | Potassium: 211mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 26g | Vitamin A: 1042IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 160mg | Iron: 1mg