Taro Bubble Tea
This Taiwanese-inspired Taro Bubble Tea is a creamy milk tea filled with tapioca pearls and a green tea base. With a purple tint from the taro, you get a delicious and super sweet beverage that's fun to sip.
Servings: 1 Drink
- 2 tablespoons Taro Powder
- 1/4 cup Black Tapioca Pearls
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 2 cups Water divided
- 1 Green Tea Bag
- 1 cup Ice Cubes
- 1/2 cup Milk or sweetened condensed milk
Bring a medium pot of water to a boil over high heat and add the tapioca pearls. Boil until softened (anywhere from 5 to 20 minutes depending on the brand).
Drain the pearls through a strainer, but keep the hot water. Place the pearls, while still in the strainer over a large bowl.
Place the brown sugar on top of the pearls and pour the reserved hot water on top. Use a spoon to stir the pearls.
Let the pearls sit in the brown sugar syrup while you prepare the other ingredients.
Bring 1 cup of water and the green tea bag to a soft boil. Turn the heat off and let steep for 2 to 3 minutes. Discard the teabag and stir in the taro root powder. Let the tea cool to room temperature.
To assemble place desired amount of tapioca pearls in the bottom of a cup and add 1 to 2 tablespoons of the brown sugar syrup.
Pour the tea mixture into the cup.
Add the milk or sweetened condensed milk and stir to combine all the ingredients.
- If you'd like to make a large batch of this tea then store the prepared tapioca pearls in a separate container from the tea.
- You can combine half whole milk and half sweetened condensed milk for a super sweet drink.
- There are two options for adding the taro powder. You can add it to the tea while it's still hot and stir it in or you can heat the milk and stir it into the milk. Let both beverages cool though after adding the powder and before adding it to the drink.
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 1080kcal | Carbohydrates: 263g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 12mg | Sodium: 153mg | Potassium: 633mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 221g | Vitamin A: 220IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 362mg | Iron: 2mg