Beet Greens Pesto
The dark color and herby flavor of this Beet Greens Pesto is a delicious condiment or marinade with a salty and rich finish from the parmesan cheese and pine nuts. Use it to coat your noodles or spread it over a steak, but definitely use it as a way to consume some healthy leafy greens.
Servings: 8 Servings
- 2 cups Beet Greens chopped from 1 bunch of beets
- 1/3 cup Pine Nuts
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Juice
Cut the beet greens from the stem of the beets and soak them in a bowl of water. Then lay them out flat on paper towels to dry and place them in a salad spinner.
Place the beet greens, pine nuts, and garlic cloves into a food processor and pulse until the mixture is finely chopped. Pour the olive oil into the food processor and continue to pulse until it becomes a thick paste-like consistency.
Add the parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, and lemon juice to the mixture and pulse until just mixed in.
- This unique recipe makes a beautiful pesto, which will have some flecks of dark pink from the beets.
- You can swap the pine nuts for walnuts, almonds, cashews, or even pecans.
- Wondering what to make with Pesto? Use it as a spread, condiment, or even a marinade. Some of the best options are pasta, meat, and fish, but pesto is also delicious on sandwiches and spread over eggs.
- Freezing Info: The best way to make this beet greens pesto last is to freeze it. I prefer to pour any leftovers in a silicone ice cube tray and freeze it. Then it can be placed into a freezer-safe zip-top bag or container for later use.
- Refrigerator Info: I love to store the pesto I plan on using immediately in a Ball jelly jar in the fridge. It will last 8 to 10 days. I do not recommend canning pesto because of the parmesan cheese and pine nuts.
Serving: 1Serving | Calories: 186kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 4mg | Sodium: 268mg | Potassium: 118mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 652IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 89mg | Iron: 1mg