Pickled Jalapeños and Carrots
Also, know as escabeche, Pickled Jalapeños and Carrots are classic taqueria or Mexican restaurant condiments perfect for adding a flavor explosion to any dish, especially tacos. There's no canning involved and this recipe is simple to prepare.
Servings: 2 Pints
- 10 Jalapenos sliced
- 2 Carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 medium Onion sliced thin
- 4 Garlic Cloves roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Mexican Oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon Whole Black Peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 1½ cups Vinegar
- 1 cup Water
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and sauté the onions for 2 to 3 minutes or until translucent, add the garlic and continue to cook for an additional 1 minute.
Add the salt, oregano, peppercorns, and cumin seeds to the skillet, toss to combine and cook for 1 more minute.
Place the jalapenos and carrots into the skillet and lightly sauté them for 2 minutes. Add the vinegar and water and cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until the jalapeños turn dark green in color.
Using a ladle and a canning funnel (if you have one) scoop the solids into the pint jars and fill them to 1/2-inch from the top of the jar. Then ladle the brine into the jars. Secure the lid on top and let the brine marinate with the vegetables overnight before enjoying to get the full flavor (optional).
- To bring out the flavor of the spices crush them in a molcajete and briefly sauté them in the skillet before adding the jalapenos and carrots.
- Wear gloves when slicing the jalapenos to avoid getting the juices on your fingers, which can leave a burning sensation.
- Even though you won't be canning this recipe you still need to use glass jars to store the pickled jalapeños and carrots because of the vinegar-based brine.
- If you're short on brine you can add a little water to the tops of the jars once they're filled and it won't change the taste.
- Allow the jalapeños to pickle overnight in order to achieve their full flavor before you plan on using it.
Serving: 1Serving | Calories: 177kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Sodium: 3547mg | Potassium: 500mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 10965IU | Vitamin C: 93mg | Calcium: 84mg | Iron: 1mg