Easy Beef and Lentil Stew
This heartwarming Beef & Lentil Stew is easy to prepare, protein-packed, and great for those cold winter months when you’re dreaming of warmer days.
Servings: 8 Servings
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1/2 Yellow Onion diced
- 2½ lbs Beef Chuck
- 4 Garlic Cloves minced
- 2 Celery Stalks chopped
- 2 Carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 28 ounce can Diced Tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 8 cups Beef Stock
- 1 cup Green Lentils
- 1 tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Liquid Smoke
- 1 tablespoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 tablespoon Dried Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Pepper
In a Dutch Oven or stock pot heat olive oil over medium heat and saute onions until they become translucent, about 4 minutes. Add in the Garlic, Celery, and Carrots and season with Salt and Pepper. Continue to cook for an additional 5 minutes.
Add the beef chuck and garlic to the to the skillet and continue cooking for an addtional 8 to 10 minutes, until the meat has browned on all sides.
Place the celery, carrots, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, beef stock, lentils, balsamic vinegar, liquid smoke, smoked paprika, and dried oregano to the pot. Bring the mixture to a boil.
Reduce the heat to low, cover with a lid, and let simmer for about 60 to 75 minutes, until the meat is fork-tender and the lentils soft. Add salt and pepper as needed.
SLOW COOKER DIRECTIONS:
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and then add the onions, sautéing them for about 4 minutes, until fragrant.
- Place the beef and minced garlic into the skillet and continue cooking for 7 to 10 minutes, until the meat is browned on all sides.
- Using a slotted spoon scoop the beef mixture out of the skillet and place it into a slow cooker.
- Add the celery, carrots, lentils, beef stock, tomatoes, tomato paste, balsamic vinegar, liquid smoke, paprika, and oregano to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low heat for 7 to 8 hours, or high heat for 3 to 4 hours.
INSTANT POT DIRECTIONS:
- Press the SAUTÉ button on your Instant Pot and heat the olive oil.
- Add the onions and sauté for 4 minutes, and then add the beef and minced garlic. Brown the meat, stirring occasionally, for about 7 to 8 minutes.
- Place the celery, carrots, lentils, beef stock, tomatoes, tomato paste, balsamic vinegar, liquid smoke, paprika, and oregano into the Instant Pot and press the MANUAL button. Set the time to 35 minutes and seal the pot with the lid.
- Allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes before turning the valve to a quick release.
- Season the stew with salt and pepper as desired.
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 419kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 38g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 98mg | Sodium: 947mg | Potassium: 1283mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 3108IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 79mg | Iron: 6mg