Apple Banana Crumble
A sweet cinnamon oat topping covers this decadent, but healthy Apple Banana Crumble. Rich caramelized apples and banans swirl the bottom. Devour it as a dessert, breakfast, or for an afternoon treat.
Servings: 8 Servings
Cast Iron Skillet
Ice Cream Scoop
- 5 Gala Apples skin removed and sliced thin
- 1/4 cup Lemon Juice
- 2 tablespoons Ground Cinnamon divided
- 1 teaspoon Nutmeg divided
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Ginger divided
- 1/4 teaspoon Allspice divided
- 3 medium Bananas peeled and sliced
- 1½ cup Flour spooned and leveled
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Butter cold and cut into cubes
Preheat the oven to 375ºF and coat a cast-iron skillet or glass baking dish with cooking spray or oil.
In a large mixing bowl combine the apple slices, lemon juice, 1 tablespoon of cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon of ground ginger, and 1/8 teaspoon of allspice.
Add the bananas to the mixing bowl and gently fold them in with the apples. Spread the mixture onto the bottom of the prepared skillet or baking dish.
In a separate mixing bowl toss the flour, brown sugar, 1 tablespoon of cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon of ground ginger, and 1/8 teaspoon of allspice together.
Add the cold butter cubes and use a fork or pastry cutter to cut the butter into the flour mixture.
Spread the crumble topping over the apple banana mixture in the skillet or baking dish. Cover with foil.
Bake for 20 minutes and remove the foil. Then cook an additional 15 to 18 minutes until the crumble begins to turn a golden brown.
- The best apples for a crumble are gala apples. They have a mildly sweet flavor that pairs perfectly with the other ingredients.
- Peel the skin off the apples. Before adding them into the recipe make sure to peel the skin off so the apple will soften and caramelize properly while it bakes.
- Make this cobbler gluten-free. Swap regular flour for any version of gluten-free flour and use gluten-free oats.
Serving: 1Serving | Calories: 270kcal | Carbohydrates: 46g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Sodium: 4mg | Potassium: 365mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 24g | Vitamin A: 97IU | Vitamin C: 12mg | Calcium: 48mg | Iron: 1mg