Almond Ricotta Cake is a dense and spongy cake with a sweet nutty flavor, lightly scented with lemon. Flourless and gluten-free this almond flour and ricotta based cake is smooth and subtle in taste.
Almond Ricotta Cake
The toasty almond flavor mixed with lemon and vanilla is almost impossible to resist. When I first laid eyes on an Almond Ricotta Cake I craved it instantly and wanted to make one. It was in the cramped confines of my New York City apartment where this recipe made its debut into our lives. I remember eating two pieces that night.
Surprisingly, I haven’t made it since despite its delicious appeal. When I scoured the internet for information on this particular cake I found it lacking. It doesn’t seem to be as popular as I imaged it would be. Perhaps, I can change that with this recipe.
How to Make Almond Ricotta Cake
The sponginess of this cake comes from separating the egg yokes from the whites and then beating the whites to fold in later.
- Prepare a cake pan by lining the edges and bottom with parchment paper. Make sure to cut the parchment to fit the pan as exact as possible.
- Mix the butter, 3/4 cup of the sugar, vanilla, and lemon zest in an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, until pale and creamy (about 8 to 10 minutes).
- Gradually add the egg yolks one at a time with the mixer speed set to low. Mix in the almond meal and pour the mixture into a large mixing bowl.
- With a clean bowl and the whisk attachment fitted to an electric mixer beat the egg whites on high until soft peaks form. Slowly add the remaining sugar and continue to beat on high until stiff peaks form.
- Using a spatula gently fold in 1/2 of the egg white mixture to the batter. Repeat with the remaining egg whites.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and top with almond slices. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes at 325℉.
- PRO TIP: For a more intense vanilla flavor swap out the vanilla extract for 2 vanilla pods by scraping out the seeds inside.
For More Cake Recipes Try These
- 1/2 cup Butter softened
- 1⅓ cup Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla
- 3 tablespoons Lemon Zest
- 4 large Eggs separated at room temperature
- 1½ cups Almond Meal
- 11 ounces Ricotta Cheese
- 1/4 cup Sliced Almonds
- 1/4 cup Powdered Sugar
- Preheat the oven to 325℉ and line the sides and bottom of a 9-inch cake pan with parchment paper, cutting it to fit exactly.
- Place the butter and 3/4 cup of the sugar, vanilla, and lemon zest in an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat for 8 to 10 minutes until the mixture is pale and creamy. Use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Gradually add the egg yolks 1 at a time with the mixer on low speed, continuing mix until just combined. Mix in the almond meal. Move the mixture to a large mixing bowl.
- Change the paddle attachment of the mixer to the whisk attachment and beat the egg whites on medium-high speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add the remaining sugar to the egg whites and continue to whisk until stiff peaks form.
- Using a spatula gently fold 1/2 of the egg white mixture into the cake batter. Repeat with the remaining 1/2 of the egg white mixture.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the almonds on top of the cake and bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until firm to touch. Allow the cake to cool completely in the pan before removing it. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.