Made with sweetened crisp apples cooked to a soft cinnamon taste, these Apple Cinnamon Muffins with brown sugar tops are a complement to your morning coffee or tea.
Apple Cinnamon Muffins
This recipe doesn’t require the use of fall fresh apples, but there’s something distinctly different about the crunch and flavor when they’re in season. Though these muffins can be made and enjoyed year-round the cinnamon aroma paired with the sugared topping in these apple muffins are extremely fall-like.
I recently made up a batch for back-to-school breakfasts and thought they we so delicious I told my kids to take in some to their teaches. After all, don’t teachers love apples?
Which Apples to Use
Crisp apples, whether sweet or tart flavored are always recommended. Choose a combination of apples, or just one type, below and you’ll end up with amazing apple pie filling.
- Granny Smith
- Northern Spy
- Pink Pearl
- Ginger Gold
- Esopus Spitzenburg
- Golden Delicious
- Pink Lady
Different Muffin Toppings
- Crumb Topping: 2/3 cup flour, 1/3 cup sugar, 1/8 teaspoon salt, 4 tablespoons butter (melted). Mix together in a small bowl and divide on top of the muffins.
- Streusel Topping: 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup flour, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, 1/8 teaspoon salt, 1/4 cup cold butter (cut into small pieces). Whisk all the ingredients except for the butter together. Use a pastry cutter or fork to cut the cold butter into the dry mixture. Sprinkle on top of muffins.
- Glazed Topping: 1 cup powdered sugar, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, 2 tablespoons heavy cream. Whisk the ingredients together and drizzle on top of muffins once cooled.
Other Delicious Muffin Recipes
Apple Cinnamon Muffins
- 1/2 cup Unsalted Butter room temperature
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 3/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 large Egg
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 2 cups Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon Cinnamon
- 2 Apples peeled and cored
- Preheat the oven to 375 ℉ and grease a 12-cup muffin pan with oil or line with paper baking cups.
- Using a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or a handheld mixer beat the butter, granulated sugar, and 1/4-cup of the brown sugar together until fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Add the egg and continue to mix until combined. Scrape down the sides using a spatula and slowly pour the buttermilk into the mixture, continuing to stir until fully mixed.
- In a small bowl whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Add to the wet ingredients and fully mix. Gently fold in the chopped apples.
- Divide the batter into the prepared baking tin and sprinkle the remaining brown sugar on top of the muffins. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes clean. Let muffins rest in pan for 5 minutes before moving to a cooling rack to finish cooling.