Ricotta and Thyme Baked Eggs are gently poached eggs nestled inside creamy, fluffy ricotta cheese and sauteed spinach. Seasoned with salt, thyme, and freshly cracked pepper.
Ricotta and Thyme Baked Eggs
Baked eggs, known as oueffs in cocotte, are a traditional French breakfast, often made with half-and-half or heavy cream, cracked egg, and simple seasoning topped with shredded cheese. This version, made with ricotta cheese, makes for a fluffy and densely delicious breakfast.
Serving a healthy and decadent breakfast is something I enjoy when entertaining guests. Even preparing this recipe on a lazy Saturday morning brings joy to my family.
This breakfast, made with fluffy ricotta cheese and sauteed spinach is full of flavor and one everyone will enjoy.
These baked eggs can be prepared casserole-style or in single-serve ramekin dishes, which makes them ideal for any amount of guests.
How to Make Ricotta and Thyme Baked Eggs
- Prepare your ramekins by greasing them with oil or butter and then preheat the oven to 375℉.
- Spread the spinach leaves on the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Whisk the ricotta, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and dried thyme together and divide between the baking dishes or an 8×8 baking dish.
- Gently crack the eggs into each prepared dish and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until the yokes begin so slightly firm.
How to Make this Recipe a Casserole
When preparing this baked egg dish you have the option of serving it in single-serve ramekin dishes or as a casserole. To prepare this recipe casserole-style grease an 8×8 baking dish with oil or butter.
Place the entire ricotta mixture into the prepared dish and make small dips to crack the eggs. Crack and pour the eggs into the dips and season accordingly.
Try These Other Delicious Breakfast Recipes Great for Entertaining
- Paleo Breakfast Casserole
- Bacon and Grits Casserole
- Goat Cheese and Herb Quiche
- Spinach, Feta, and Egg Breakfast Bake
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil divided
- 2 cups Spinach
- 2 cup Ricotta Cheese
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
- 2 teaspoons Fresh Thyme
- 4 large Eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and grease 4 small ramekin dishes with butter or oil.
- Place 1 tablespoon of the olive oil a skillet and saute the spinach until the leaves are wilted about 1 minute. Divide between the ramekin dishes.
- In a medium-sized bowl whisk the ricotta cheese, remaining olive oil, and fresh thyme together. Place the mixture in each of the ramekin dishes placing it in the center and dividing the dish in half.
- Pour 2 tablespoons of the heavy cream into each dish. Carefully crack an egg over the ricotta cheese. Season with salt.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until the eggs harden slightly and are no longer runny. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.