This hearty stew is packed full of vegetables that blend perfectly into the broth for a deliciously healthy meal. A slightly smokey flavor with spicy notes makes this filling Instant Pot Sausage and Lentil Stew the absolute best.
Instant Pot Lentil Soup with Sausage
I always find it surprising when I prepare a meal solely for my own cravings and adult taste buds that my children also enjoy. When I began to prepare this recipe I had myself in mind and hopes that my children would eat it.
Though this Instant Pot Sausage and Lentil Stew is bursting with fresh vegetables, which my kids usually reject, the bold flavors make each spoonful a delicious one. One they actually liked.
The smokey and salty flavors of this Instant Pot lentil stew make it unique and the added health benefits are a bonus. Celery, carrots, and bell peppers are just a few of the healthy ingredients you’ll enjoy. The lentils though are packed with protein, iron, fiber, folic acid, and magnesium.
Mainly, I was just happy my whole family enjoyed eating it, which is the most important aspect of this easy-to-make stew. If you love lentil stew recipes then I recommend trying this Easy Beef and Lentil Stew next or even this Instant Pot Shrimp and Lentil Stew.
Ingredients in Instant Pot Sausage and Lentil Stew
This simple Instant Pot lentil stew with sausage is comprised of some powerful flavors, but once sautéed and cooked together they marry for a delicious blend.
- Olive Oil
- Vegetables: Celery, bell peppers, and carrots.
- Tomato Paste
- Smoked Sausage
- Dried Lentils
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Spices: cumin, paprika, and cloves.
- Beef Broth
- Beef Stock Cube
- Brown Sugar
Which lentils are best for lentil stew?
The best type of lentils to use for lentil stew is green lentils. This is because they take about 40 to 45 minutes to cook and will remain intact during the cooking process. Green lentils, also known as “French lentils,” will also be a tad firmer.
Since this is an Instant Pot lentil stew though it’s not completely necessary to use the green lentils, which take longer to cook.
The sausage is already cooked and only needs to be browned and the vegetables are sautéed before you begin to pressure cook. Therefore, you can also use red lentils or brown lentils, which take less time to cook, but will slightly fall apart.
Even though the red and brown lentils tend to fall apart in the stew, they’re still just as delicious.
Do I have to soak the lentils?
No. Since this legume is lower in PHA, they do not need to be soaked before placing them in this recipe. Soaking them does aid in digestion, however, you will need to reduce the cooking time if you do pre-soak them.
How to Make Instant Pot Sausage and Lentil Stew
This simple recipe requires only a small amount of prep work and then everything is placed into the instant pot to cook. The time needed to prepare this recipe is around 53 minutes, which includes the pre-heat time and the release time for the Instant Pot.
To prepare this dish I used the basic 6-quart Instant Pot, however, any version will work the same.
- Prep: Mince, dice, and slice the vegetables and smoked sausage then set aside so they’re ready for cooking.
- Sauté: Set the Instant Pot to SAUTÉ and add the olive oil. Let it heat for about 30 seconds before adding the celery, bell pepper, carrots, and garlic. Let cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Brown Meat: Add the smoked sausage and tomato paste and cook, stirring occasionally for an additional 3 minutes.
- Cook: Add the lentils, Worcestershire sauce, spices, broth, beef stock cube, and brown sugar then set the dial to MANUAL and set the time for 15 minutes.
- Release: Once the cooking has finished release the steam manually for about 10 minutes before opening the valve and removing the top.
Other Vegetables to Add to this Stew
This Instant Pot lentil stew with sausage has strong flavors mixed together such as cumin, Worcestershire sauce, and a salt mix from the beef stock cube. If you’d like to sneak some additional vegetables in you could, which would then bulk up the soup. Some delicious options for additional vegetables are below.
- Sweet Peas
- Butternut Squash
- Sweet Potatoes
FAQ’s for Making Instant Pot Sausage and Lentil Stew
What to serve with lentil soup with sausage?
Lentil soup with sausage is a hearty meal already so side dishes aren’t entirely necessary. If you’re looking to vary your meal though most rolls are a great option as well as the sides from the below list.
- Southern Cornbread
- Naan Bread
- Side Salad
- Dinner Rolls
Can you freeze lentil stew?
Yes. This easy stew is simple to store in the freezer and can be kept in a freezer-safe bag for up to 2 months. Let the soup cool before placing it in the freezer bag for storage.
Can this stew be made vegan?
Absolutely! Just remove the sausage and you will still have a delicious smokey-flavored lentil stew.
Tips for Making Instant Pot Lentil Stew
- This stew can be stored in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Cut the vegetables into larger pieces. Since all the ingredients are cooking in the instant pot you want larger pieces so they don’t become mushy.
- Use the tomato paste in the sautéing process which brings out the flavors of the paste.
- Stir in some sour cream for a creamy soup.
- To reduce the time it takes for your Instant Pot to build up to pressure go ahead and turn it on prior to sautéing.
Instant Pot Lentil Stew
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 6 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1/2 cup Celery diced
- 1 Red Bell Pepper seeded and diced
- 4 cups Carrots diced
- 1 lb Smoked Sausage sliced
- 2 cups Dried Lentils
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Paprika
- 2 teaspoons Cumin
- 2 quarts Low Sodium Beef Broth
- 1 Beef Stock Cube optional
- 1 tablespoon Tomato Paste
- 1 tablespoon Brown Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Ground Black Pepper
- Set your Instant Pot to “saute” and add the Olive Oil, Garlic Cloves, Celery, Red Bell Pepper, and Carrots, cook for 5 minutes, tossing occasionally. Add the Smoked Sausage and continue to cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- Add all the remaining ingredients to the Instant Pot (Lentils, Worcestershire Sauce, Paprika, Cumin, Beef Broth, Stock Cube, Tomato Paste, Brown Sugar, Salt, and Pepper). Using the “manual” setting set the time to 15 minutes. Release all the steam once done and season with any additional spices.