Last Updated on
This deliciously indulgent Butternut Squash Pumpkin Soup is not only dairy-free but a healthy fall addition to your menu. Creamy and thick with a hint of cinnamon and chili spice you’ll love the flavor of this soup.
Butternut Squash Pumpkin Soup
Hints of butterscotch-like sweetness come from the butternut squash in this soup and marry with the mild earthy flavors of the pumpkin. Subtle notes of chili powder and cinnamon swirl this dense velvety soup for a serious comforting bowl of butternut squash pumpkin soup. This delicious dairy-free dish is a healthy choice during those longer colder months.
I have many great memories centered around food and love how the seasons approaching promotes this sentiment. I can actually remember the first time I had Butternut Squash Soup in a waterfront restaurant in Hoboken, NJ. At the time I was enjoying a business lunch with one of my favorite customers and she encouraged me to get the soup. I’m thankful for her insistence because it was one of the best soups I’d ever tasted. It inspired me to make my own version of the dish
How to Make this Pumpkin Squash Soup Vegan
The recipe for this squash soup can be made vegetarian or vegan by switching a few ingredients. See the guidelines below on how to prepare it to meet your dietary needs.
- Vegetarian: swap the chicken broth for vegetable broth.
- Vegan: switch the butter for oil and the chicken broth for vegetable broth.
Tips for Cutting Butternut Squash
- First, remove the outer skin layer of the squash by peeling it out with a vegetable peeler. Slice the rounded end off from the long end of the squash to remove the skin easier from the curved pieces.
- Next, slice the two pieces into half. Remove the seeds using a spoon from the bottom half.
- Slice the remaining pieces into small cubes.
Try These Other Fall Recipe Favorites:
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 medium Vidalia Onion chopped
- 3½ cups Chicken Broth
- 2 lbs Butternut Squash
- 15 ounces Pumpkin Puree
- 3 sprigs Thyme chopped
- 2 teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoons Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Ground Pepper
- Creme Fraiche
- Melt the butter in a large stockpot over medium heat and saute the chopped onion, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes, until soft and golden.
- Add the chicken broth, butternut squash, and pumpkin to the pot and bring to a soft boil. Reduce the heat to a medium simmer. Stir in the thyme, ground cinnamon, chili powder, and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally for 20 minutes or until the squash softens and can be pierced with a fork.
- Using a handheld immersion blender, blend the soup until smooth or us a stand blender, working in batches ladle the soup into the blender and blend until smooth.