This healthy Vegan Banana Bread recipe is a tasty wholesome treat without refined sugar. Naturally sweetened with maple syrup, bananas, and coconut this delightful bread makes a delicious snack or treat.
The warm scent of banana bread permeating my house as it slowly bakes brings a rush of delicious memories. Simple loaves of sweet bread are some of my favorite treats to prepare as well as indulge.
They make wonderful gifts, especially for a hostess. The ingredients in these recipes are often simple, whether healthy or vegan, and this Vegan Banana Bread is no different.
When I first prepared this easy vegan bread it was at a time when I thought my capacity couldn’t be stretched any further. At the time we had two young children, one of which was potty training and the other all-out refusing to sleep. As sleep-deprived as I was, I desperately tried to eat healthy though sugar and sleep were all I craved.
Preparing a healthy bread that tasted indulgent was how I found a sliver of sanity and also how I slowed down to remember the little joys of life. Sharing this bread along with other healthy recipes with my young children, knowing it wasn’t full of unhealthy ingredients, gave me hope that not everything was out of control.
I love quick bread recipes for their simplicity like this double chocolate banana bread. This recipe is slightly different though because it’s vegan and calls for mostly pantry staples.
- Ground Flaxseeds
- Coconut Oil
- Maply Syrup
- Almond Milk
- Baking Soda
- Vanilla Extract
- Optional: walnuts, shredded coconut
Some of my favorite recipes are vegan and only call for pantry staples like vegan oatmeal cookies or these vegan pumpkin spice muffins. Even though the ingredients are simple just like in this recipe, they’re still very delicious.
How to Make Vegan Banana Bread
- Prep: Grease a 9×9 loaf pan and preheat the oven to 325℉.
- Make the flax egg: In a small bowl whisk the ground flaxseed together with the warm water and set aside.
- Mix: In a large bowl whisk the coconut oil and maple syrup and mashed bananas. Stir in the baking soda, vanilla, salt, cinnamon, and coconut flakes. Pour the flaxseed mixture in and stir to combine.
- Add flour: Using a spoon stir in the flour until no lumps remain.
- Bake: Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish and sprinkle the remaining walnuts and coconut. Bake for 44 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Recipe Notes and Tips:
- Use overripe bananas. Overripe bananas have many brown spots and mash easily when preparing this bread recipe.
- If you don’t have any overripe bananas you can peel them (about 3 large) freeze them and then thaw them before your ready to use.
- Flax eggs are key to adding structure to the bread and taking the place of an actual egg. Mixing the warm water with the ground flaxseed creates a binding mixture and reacts similarly to an egg in baking.
Can this recipe be made oil-free?
Yes. Swap the oil for applesauce, which will create a denser bread. Just make sure to still grease the sides of the pan or use parchment paper to cover the sides.
Can I freeze this bread?
Yes. Store the bread in an air-tight freezer-safe container for up to 2 months. Let thaw in the refrigerator before eating.
Can this recipe be made into muffins?
Yes. Divide the batter into a 12-cup muffin tin with muffin liners. Bake at 350℉ for 25 to 30 minutes until the tops are golden brown.
Vegan Banana Bread
- 2 tablespoons Ground Flaxseeds
- 5 tablespoons Warm Water
- 1/3 cup Coconut Oil melted
- 1/2 cup Maple Syrup
- 1 cup Bananas mashed
- 1/4 cup Almond Milk
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 cup Chopped Walnuts plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon Unsweetened Coconut Flakes plus more for garnish
- 1¾ cup Flour gluten-free version
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan with additional coconut oil.
- In a small bowl combine the ground flaxseed and warm water, set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk the coconut oil and maple syrup together. Stir in the baking soda, vanilla, salt, cinnamon, and coconut flakes.
- Use a for to mash the bananas and then add to the wet ingredient mixture.
- Pour the flaxseed mixture into the batter and whisk to fully combine.
- Using a large spoon stir in the flour until no lumps remain. Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish and sprinkle the top with additional walnuts and coconut flakes.
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the bread cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing and transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling.