These lettuce wraps are packed with a ground chicken and vegetable mixture coated in an Asian-inspired marinade and drizzled with a delicious peanut sauce. Healthy Chicken Lettuce Wraps make a simple dinner you can make in minutes and is perfect for busy nights or meal prep.
Easy Lettuce Wraps
Often the “healthy” version of a recipe doesn’t measure up to the delicious flavor of the original. While there isn’t necessarily a tortilla or flour wrap version of these easy lettuces wraps, they’re so packed with flavor, you’ll hardly notice they are healthy.
The flavorful Asian-inspired marinade that surrounds the ground chicken and vegetables is absolutely delicious. To literally top it all off these healthy chicken lettuce wraps are drizzled in a decadent peanut sauce. This meal can be made in minutes and is perfect for an easy weeknight dinner.
How to Make Healthy Chicken Lettuce Wraps
The flavorful chicken lettuce wraps can be prepared in minutes with little mess.
- Prepare the peanut sauce. In a medium bowl whisk the peanut butter, soy sauce, lime juice, brown sugar, and sweet chili sauce together until smooth. Set aside.
- Cook the chicken mixture. In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat and add the ground chicken, mushrooms, carrots, and shallot. Break the meat apart into crumbles as it browns. Drain the fat.
- Add garlic. Stir in the garlic and let cook for an additional minute.
- Stir in the sauce. Pour the hoisin sauce, sweet chili sauce, and oyster sauce into the ground chicken mixture and toss to coat. Remove from heat.
- Assemble. Gently remove any outer damaged lettuce layers and discard them. Place 8 to 10 lettuce leaves on a plate and spoon the chicken mixture into each leaf.
- Top with Sauce. Drizzle the peanut sauce on top of each wrap and serve.
Ingredients in Easy Lettuce Wraps
At first glance, the list of ingredients appears long, and while there are quite a few items, many of them are sauces and oils, which are somewhat common. I say somewhat because not everyone will have oyster sauce or sweet chili sauce, but many of you have sesame oil, vegetable oil, and soy sauce.
By stocking your pantry with the sauces and oils on this list you’ll be able to make a wide variety of Asian based recipes. So don’t be intimidated by these ingredients if you’re unfamiliar with some of them.
- Vegetable Oil
- Sesame Oil – this common oil used in Asian dishes can be found with all other oils at the grocery store as well as in the Asian ingredient section.
- Ground Chicken
- Shiitake Mushrooms
- Garlic Cloves
- Hoisin Sauce – look for this delicious dark sauce on the Asian section of the grocery store.
- Sweet Chili Sauce
- Oyster Sauce – you can also use fish sauce, both of which are in the Asian ingredient aisle of the grocery store.
- Butter Lettuce
Peanut Sauce Ingredients
This decadent peanut sauce is what pulls this recipe together perfectly. Just whisk the ingredients below together in a small bowl. Add some water to thin the sauce to the consistency you prefer.
- Creamy Peanut Butter
- Soy Sauce
- Fresh Squeezed Lime Juice
- Brown Sugar
- Sweet Chili Sauce
What Lettuce is Best for Wraps?
You can use a variety of lettuce types, such as iceberg, romaine, or butter lettuce, however, the butter leaves have the best shape. The slightly soft butter lettuce leaves are perfectly pliable for wrapping around the ground chicken mixture.
Can I Use Ground Turkey?
Yes. Any type of ground meat will work for this recipe. Both ground chicken and pork are best as well as lighter in calories, but beef or sausage will work too.
How to Store Healthy Chicken Lettuce Wraps
These easy lettuce wraps actually make a great meal prep option. To store, place the peanut sauce, chicken filling, and lettuce in separate containers and assemble when ready to eat.
More Easy Chicken Dinner Recipes
- Easy Thai Chicken
- Take Out Style Chicken Lo Mein
- Chinese Take Out Orange Chicken
- Chicken Satay with Peanut Sauce
Healthy Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- 1 tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 1 tablespoon Sesame Oil
- 1 lb Ground Chicken
- 1 3.5 ounce Package Shiitake Mushrooms diced
- 1 Carrot peeled and diced
- 1 Shallot minced
- 4 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1/4 cup Hoisin Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Sweet Chili Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Oyster Sauce
- 2 tablespoons Fresh Cilantro chopped
- 1 head Butter Lettuce
- 3 tablespoons Creamy Peanut Butter
- 1 tablespoon Soy Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Squeezed Lime Juice
- 2 teaspoons Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Sweet Chili Sauce
- In a small bowl whisk all of the peanut sauce ingredients together until smooth. Slowly add water 1 tablespoon at a time until you reach the consistency you prefer. Set aside.
Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Place the vegetable oil and sesame oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the ground chicken, mushrooms, diced carrots, and minced shallot. Break the ground chicken apart using a spatula as it browns, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the garlic to the skillet and continue to cook for 1 more minute.
- Add the hoisin sauce, sweet chili sauce, and oyster sauce. Toss to coat and remove skillet from heat. Stir in the fresh cilantro.
- Gently remove any outer damaged lettuce layers and discard them. Place 8 to 10 lettuce leaves on a plate and spoon the chicken mixture into each leaf.
- Drizzle each prepared lettuce wrap with the peanut sauce.