Last Updated on
Tangy pineapple shaken with sweet coconut milk makes a summery twist on a classic cocktail. Perfect for poolside sipping, this Pineapple Coconut Margarita is the best of both a pina colada and a margarita with only one hand needed.
Pineapple Coconut Margarita Recipe
Perhaps it’s summer, perhaps it’s the love of the citrusy lime-flavor or perhaps it’s the overall fresh taste, but margaritas are one of my favorite cocktails. This coconut margarita with strong hints of pineapple is a sweet twist on a classic cocktail.
The simple combination of the classic drink elements such as fresh lime juice, simple syrup or agave, with new ingredients of coconut milk and pineapple juice make this cocktail a hit.
I always get excited when I crack open the cocktail menu at any given restaurant (for many obvious reasons) and see a long list of specialty margaritas. I’ll read all the delicious-sounding ingredients mixed together in what sounds like an amazing burst of flavor, and yet, I never venture out to try those tasty sounding concoctions.
This drink, this pineapple coconut margarita goes beyond my expectations for a great cocktail. Similar to a pina colada and a margarita at the base but with a sweet and tangy finish. It’s the perfect summer drink.
Ingredients in this Cocktail
This cocktail has a coconut milk base with pineapple juice and lime juice shaken in. What you get is a citrusy and slightly sweet flavored coconut margarita. A pina colada and margarita in one drink.
- Pineapple Juice: this juice can come from canned pineapple chunks or from a jar.
- Coconut Milk: make sure to use the full-fat canned coconut milk and shake the can before opening.
- Simple Syrup: you can also use agave, which is standard in a classic margarita.
- Freshly Squeezed Lime
How to Make Simple Syrup
Place 1 teaspoon of sugar and 1 teaspoon of water into a small saucepan. Heat the mixture just until the sugar dissolves completely.
- 2 ounces Tequila
- 2 ounces Pineapple Juice
- 1 ounce Coconut Milk
- 2 teaspoons Simple Syrup
- 1 Lime juiced
- Place the Tequila, Pineapple Juice, Coconut Milk, Simple Syrup, and Lime in a cocktail shaker filled with ice and shake vigorously several times.
- (Optional) Use the squeezed lime to wet the rim of the glass and dip the edge into coarse salt. Fill the glass with ice and pour the margarita mixture into it.