Wood smoked flavor mixed into a creamy softened cheese spread makes the perfect party appetizer. This simple to prepare Smoked Cheese Ball made with gouda, cream cheese, and covered in crushed pecans is a delicious spread.
Smoked Cheese Ball
Just as my eyes could peer over the countertops as a child I remember spying the delicious spread my mother had prepared for each holiday. Many appetizers were always present, but one, in particular, was the cheese ball.
The slightly waxy flavor from the store-bought versions turned me away from this retro spread until I’d tasted homemade ones.
The creamy smooth spread paired perfectly on buttery crackers or toasted baguette slices. This smoked cheese ball made with liquid smoke for the wood-fired flavor and gouda has a rich taste. This simple appetizer is perfect for seasonal parties and can easily be made ahead.
Can You Freeze Cheese Balls
Yes. After mixing the ingredients form it into a ball and cover in plastic wrap and foil. Keep the mixture in the freezer until ready to finish preparing. Let thaw and roll into the pecans after.
Can This Recipe be Made into Small Bites?
Yes. Once the mixture has chilled remove it from the refrigerator and roll into small 1 to 2-inch sized balls. Roll the ball into the crushed pecans.
What to Serve with a Cheese Ball
Crackers are the best option for serving with this recipe, however mini toasts, bagel chips, pretzels, or even toasted baguette slices work.
Pro Tips for Making this Recipe
- Make sure the cheese, cream cheese, and butter are all room temperature or they won’t mix easily.
- You can swap the liquid smoke for Worcestershire sauce.
- Plain gouda cheese can be used instead of smoked gouda.
- 1 cup Smoked Gouda Cheese room temperature, shredded
- 8 ounces Cream Cheese room temperature
- 1/4 cup Unsalted Butter room temperature
- 1 tablespoons Milk
- 2 teaspoons Liquid Smoke
- 3/4 cup Crushed Pecans
- Place the shredded gouda, softened cream cheese, butter, milk, and liquid smoke into either a large mixing bowl or the bowl of an electric mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment. Using either a handheld mixer or an electric mixer beat the ingredients until smooth and mixed completely.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight or for a minimum of 12 hours.
- Once chilled roll and shape the mixture into a ball. Place the crushed pecans into a shallow bowl or dish and roll the cheese on top to coat completely.