Hearty and wholesome, this Healthy Turkey Chili has a hint of sweetness with a pinch of spice. This delectable dish is perfect for a weeknight meal or feeding a crowd.
This post was originally posted on February 5, 2016, and has been updated with new information and pictures.
Healthy Turkey Chili
I’ve reached a point in the season where consuming sugary foods and ingredients have lost its mouth-watering appeal. Not to say I’m diving into a diet or eating challenge during the holiday season, but I’d like to sprinkle in some healthier wholesome meals.
As the temperatures begin to dip towards cold and colder snuggling up with something warm becomes an important ambition.
Recipes like this healthy turkey chili appease the side of me that craves those wholesome meals. Made with simple ingredients such as coconut oil, ground turkey, kidney beans, and tomatoes this stew is not only simple to prepare it’s also heartily delicious.
How to Make this Chili in the Instant Pot
This healthy turkey chili recipe is just as easily made in the Instant Pot as it is in the slow cooker. Just follow the easy steps below:
- Set the Instant Pot to SAUTE and melt the coconut oil. Add the diced onion and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, or until fragrant. Next, place the minced garlic in with the onion and continue to saute for an additional 1 minute.
- Add the ground turkey and break the meat apart until completely crumbled. Let saute until browned.
- Turn the Instant Pot off and pour in the crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, and both kidney beans. Do NOT mix the ingredients let them sit on top of the turkey mixture. Add the remaining brown sugar, chili powder, and cumin.
- Seal the Instant Pot lid and turn the valve to sealing. Set to MANUAL and cook for 12 minutes.
- All the pressure cooker to release for 10 minutes then do a quick pressure release using a potholder to release the remaining steam. Stir all the ingredients.
Toppings to Add to Your Chili
It’s easy to load up any bowl of chili with unhealthy ingredients, but try some of the options below to keep your healthy turkey chili as wholesome as possible.
- Fresh Sliced Avocado
- Chopped Chives
- Pickled Jalapenos
- Chopped Tomatoes
- Chopped Tomatoes
More Delicious Chili Recipes
- Game Day Chili
- Chili Con Carne
- Southern Black-Eyed Pea Chili
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin Beef Chili
- Pumpkin Sausage Chili
- 1 teaspoon Coconut Oil
- 1 medium Onion diced
- 2 Garlic Cloves minced
- 2 lbs Ground Turkey
- 28 ounces Crushed Tomatoes canned
- 1 cup Tomato Sauce
- 15 ounces Red Kidney Beans canned
- 15 ounces Dark Red Kidney Beans canned
- 2 tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Chili Powder
- 2 teaspoons Cumin
- Heat Coconut Oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Add the diced onion and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until fragrant. Place the minced garlic and cook an additional minute, stirring occasionally.
- Add the ground turkey to the skillet and break apart with a skillet until crumbled, continue to cook the meat until browned.
- Turn a crockpot to low or place a large Dutch oven on the stove set to low, and add the crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, and both kidney beans (make sure to rinse and drain the beans first).
- Place the browned turkey mixture into the crockpot along with the brown sugar, chili powder, and cumin and stir to mix. Cook chili on low for 2 hours or until the sauce begins to bubble.