Last Updated on
Old Fashioned Apple Crisp is a crispy, crunchy, brown sugar and oat crumble on top of cinnamon soft baked apples. Serve with vanilla bean ice cream drizzled with a decadent caramel sauce for a delicious treat.
If you’ve got apple desserts on your mind then save some time to prepare and can this easy apple pie filling.
Old Fashioned Apple Crisp
Fewer desserts are as decadent and easy to prepare than a crisp. Most crisp recipes call for seasonal harvests such as peaches, berries, and most notably apples. Apple crisp, though perfect during fall months, is one you can make year-round. However, it is best served during autumn.
I spent a weekend in the mountains outside of Seattle a few weeks back and the breezy morning air with chilly evenings and fireside chats left me nostalgic for fall and all its abundance. When I returned home I immediately dove into preparing autumn dishes. This crisp recipe was one of the first desserts I made.
A tailspin of preparing decadent fall treats began leaving flour and brown sugar in every crevice and corner of my kitchen. Fall scents are constantly wafting from my oven and I wouldn’t have it any other way.
How to Prepare a Crisp
The crisp has two main layers of deliciously sweet ingredients. The bottom layer is the seasonal fruit tossed with sugar and spices and the top is a crumble of oats, sugar, and butter for the crisp. These mixtures are placed in a dish to bake and form the crispy crunchy dessert.
- Toss the apples with cinnamon, sugar, and lemon juice and place in a greased baking dish.
- Mix the brown sugar, oats, flour, and salt and then cut the butter into the mixture. Crumble on top of the apples.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until ingredients bubble and turn crispy.
Old fashioned toppings are classic and remain so because they’re often the best. Topping your dessert with a creamy vanilla bean ice cream and drizzling a thick caramel sauce on top is my preference.
Other Delicious Fall Desserts
- 6 Apples peeled, cored, and sliced
- 2 tablespoons Granulated Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Cinnamon
- 1½ teaspoon Lemon Juice
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 3/4 cup Old Fashioned Oats
- 3/4 cup Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 cup Butter cold and cut into cubes
- Vanilla Ice
- Caramel Sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350℉ and grease an 8×8 baking dish, set aside.
- Add the sliced apples to a large mixing bowl and toss with the granulated sugar, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, and lemon juice. Layer mixture in the prepared baking dish.
- In a separate mixing bowl combine the brown sugar, oats, flour, and salt. Use a pastry cutter or fork, to cut the butter into the mixture. Sprinkle the crumble on top of the apples. Bake 45 to 50 minutes, until contents bubble and the topping, becomes crispy.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce.