Sweet soft notes of amaretto swirl this cream-based cocktail with hints of coffee liqueur. The Toasted Almond Drink is the perfect way to say cheers this holiday season or sip as you sit fireside.
Toasted Almond Drink
Each year I try to make some tasty homemade treats to give as gifts to friends and neighbors. In years past I’ve made infused olive oil, but this year I wanted something truly decadent. Making homemade amaretto seemed the perfect gift and after tasting it myself I can confirm.
I wanted to give my friends some options for using their amaretto, even though drinking it straight was truly divine and so I researched some cocktails. What I found was a delicious winter cocktail called the toasted almond drink.
Made of amaretto, coffee liqueur, and cream this is one decadent drink. It makes the perfect holiday cocktail for toasting friends or sipping while sitting fireside.
Ingredients in a Toasted Almond Cocktail
There are just 3 main ingredients in this cocktail and the mixture is easy enough to memorize.
- Amaretto Liqueur
- Coffee Liqueur
- Heavy Cream or Milk
How to Make a Toasted Almond Drink
In a matter of minutes, you can make this delicious beverage, which makes it a perfect option for serving at holiday parties.
- Pour all of the liqueurs and cream into a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
- Shake vigorously for 15 seconds to mix the ingredients well and promote a frothy cream.
- Strain into a cocktail glass with ice.
Tips for Making the Best Toasted Almond Drink
- You can play around with the measures of the liqueurs and the cream. Typically the liqueurs are equal and the cream a little less or more depending on your preferences.
- Whole milk or cream works best for the cocktail, but any milk with less fat won’t be as creamy or rich. You could also use half and half.
- Avoid just pouring the ingredients into a glass and stirring the contents. It’s important to shake them with ice in a shaker. This softens the cream and adds a froth to the top.
Variations to Try
Since there are only a few ingredients you can easily play around with different variations. I recommend trying a flavored vodka, or if serving this at Christmas swap the cream for eggnog.
- Eggnog Toasted Almond Cocktail: amaretto, coffee liqueur, and eggnog.
- Bailey’s Toasted Almond Cocktail: amaretto, coffee liqueur, and Bailey’s.
- Burnt Almond Cocktail: amaretto, coffee liqueur, vodka, and cream.
Can this cocktail be made dairy-free?
Sure! Changing the milk or cream for a dairy-free option will change the flavor as expected, but you can certainly make the swap. I recommend trying a creamier version of dairy-free milk like oat milk or even use a dairy-free creamer. Using almond milk though would complement the amaretto.
Which coffee liqueur is best?
I’m slightly partial, but I prefer to use Kahula as my preferred coffee liqueur and it tastes delicious in this cocktail.
More Holiday Drinks
Toasted Almond Drink
- Cocktail Shaker and Strainer
- 1½ ounces Amaretto Liqueur
- 1½ ounces Coffee Liqueur
- 2 ounces Cream or Milk
- Place the amaretto, coffee liqueur, and cream into a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Shake vigorously for 15 seconds and strain out into a highball glass with ice.