Slightly sweet and crumbly, this Basic Graham Cracker Crust is the perfect pie crust for when you want something a little different than the standard. Easy to prepare and can be made in minutes.
Basic Graham Cracker Crust
This simple pie crust is extremely versatile and one I use often when preparing pies. I especially prefer this style of the crust when the filling itself is a type of custard. With three simple ingredients, you’ll never need to purchase a store-bought version of this classic again.
How to Make Graham Cracker Crust
Making this recipe is simple with only three ingredients and this version won’t leave you with a crumbly or cracking crust. The key to getting the perfect shape and density is in the amount of butter used.
- 1 1/2 cup Graham Cracker Crumbs
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1/3 cup butter
Combine the above ingredients in a large mixing bowl until well combined. Using your fingers gently press the mixture into a greased pie dish and bake at 375℉ for 10 minutes.
How to Make Graham Cracker Crumbs
Graham cracker crumbs now come in package form, but sometimes, especially around the holidays, the stores can run out.
To make your own crumbs simply break graham crackers in half and place them in a food processor. Pulse until all the crackers have crumbled. You can also use your fingers to break them down into crumbs, however, this process is more cumbersome.
Different Graham Cracker Crusts to Make:
- Cinnamon Sugar: use cinnamon-flavored graham crackers and add 2 teaspoons of cinnamon to the crust mixture.
- Pumpkin Spice: add 2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice to the crust mixture.
- Chai Spice: add 2 teaspoons of chai spice to the crust mixture.
- Chocolate: use chocolate graham crackers and add 1 teaspoon of cocoa powder to the crust mixture.
How to Make it without Butter
Though I prefer the standard crust with butter this ingredient isn’t necessary when replaces with maple syrup and oil. To make the pie shell use the following recipe:
- 2 cups Graham Cracker Crumbs
- 1/3 cup Maple Syrup
- 1/3 cup Oil (Canola, Olive Oil, or melted Coconut Oil)
- Pinch of Salt
In a food processor, pulse the graham cracker crumbs, syrup, oil, and salt until just combined. Press firmly using your hand or the bottom of a glass cup into a greased pie dish. Bake for 7 to 10 minutes at 375℉ until light golden brown.
Recipes to Use a Graham Cracker Crust With:
- 1½ cups Graham Cracker Crumbs or 12 full cracker sheets
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1/3 cup Butter melted
- Preheat the oven to 350℉ and lightly grease an 8" x 9.5" pie pan.
- If making your own graham cracker crumbs break the cracker sheets in half and pulse in a food processor until crumbs form.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the graham cracker crumbs and sugar until fully mixed. Pour the butter into the mixture and stir until combined.
- Using your fingers or the bottom of a drinking glass gently press the crumb mixture into the prepared pie pan. Bake for 10 minutes.